need help with electric motor wiring

Hi, I have drill motor, from a reversing drill. It has 4 leads- 1 for each brush, and 2 going into the motor. How do I connect these leads, and also what do I change to reverse the direction. Thanks very much for your help! Joe

Reply to
Janet

If this motor is from an AC powered drill it's a universal series motor. Name the leads going to the brushes A1 and A2 (A for armature) and the other two F1 and F2 (F=field). Tie A2 to F1 and apply power to A1 and F2. To reverse tie A2 to F2, power to A1 and F1.

I expect this would apply to most rechargeable drills as well, but don't know for sure.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

AFAIK rechargeable drills use permanent-magnet motors -- at least my Makita, the DeWalt's that are torn apart for model airplane power plants, and the Black & Deckers that a friend of mine used to help design are all built with them.

Universal motors are bulkier than PM DC motors, and may not be as efficient.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'll buy that. The universal motor's big advantage is being able to run on AC, which is no advantage for a rechargeable. Especially with modern magnet materials, I don't doubt the PM motor is both more compact and more efficient.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons