25" Smith & Mills shaper info

I ran across a post a couple of years ago regarding the purchase of a Smith and Mills shaper manual from Nebel in Cincinatti. I think the OP said they paid around $50 or so. I can't seem to find the post again.

I called Nebel, and talked to the shaper lady, but she said they didn't offer a manual for the old shapers (mine is early 1940s). She sent me a parts diagram, but lacks a lot of parts. She was very nice, but maybe I am speaking the wrong language with my request.

Any info?

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Probably stuff you already found, but searching groups via google is quite often problematic. I found this reference that may or may not help:

Leon Fisk

Yeah, I saw that one. Also, I thought this was neat:

The 25" shown is the closest to my model. Mine was in a local school shop, and left for dead with a drill press and a welding table near the RR tracks where other dumping was common. The drill press was too far gone, but the table and the shaper were keepers. There is still scrape frosting on the ram. I'd like to restore it.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Yup, it sure looks nice. I only messed around with one (shaper) many years ago in High School Shop class. I made something really, really difficult with it, a log splitting wedge from a piece of rectangular stock :) It was neat to watch the big curly chips come off, ker-chunk, ker-chunk... I can't remember anyone else trying to do something with it other than my buddy who made a splitting wedge too. Of course we had to case harden the hammer side of the wedge and arc weld/hard-face the cutting edge on it afterwards. So we learned a few other odds & ends too.

I don't have room for one that size. I would like one of the hand operated (manual) ones to play with. That would be more of my speed nowadays.

I was hoping that maybe Gunner would have some info for you. He seems have quite a bit of shaper stuff...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yeah, me either. It's just one of those things you have to do in life. Make time for the kids, make room for that huge ass metalworking machine.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly