Cat Pee Proof

I've separated all my tool steel stock into small piles and put them in plastic tubs that are about 10" wide by 18" deep and 6" high. In turn, these tubs are placed anywhere there's an empty spot under something.

Last week, I noticed water in the bottom of my A2 tub. WTF? The metal had REALLY corroded bad. Stunk too. So I pressure washed it out, dried in the sun and sprayed down with LPS.

This morning I walk down, and a different tub has liquid in it. One sniff told me the source. SOCKS! My SO's favorite cat. If I tell my honey to choose between Socks and me, I'll be a lookin' for a new place to live. The shop is his place, he allows me in if I keep fresh food and litter boxes.

So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there (impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to death when he does his thing next time?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Fi-shock. Look it up on Google. You can buy just the electrical unit for about $25. Two wires, one to the metal, one to ground. Or put the plastic tub on a sheet of galvanized, and the other wire to the metal inside the tub. Just one contact with the energized unit will cure the cat for life from going into your metal. And it is hilarious as hell if you get the chance to watch them, especially when they pee on it and make the connection. This will not kill the cat, and is a quick permanent cheap solution. Don't tell your SO about it. Keep it around for stray dogs getting in garbage cans, raccoons, birds, and other animals that become a pest.

You're welcome.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

In article , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net says... One sniff

Plant "Socks" out back someplace. "Gosh, Honey.. I haven't seen him... why??"

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Citrus, Karl. Squirt lemon juice liberally over the contents of your tubs. Cats are repelled by citrus. And by chance if it doesn't work, you'll be none the wiser. The citrus will neutralize the cat pee odor and you won't be able to tell where that pesky corrosion is coming from.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

||> Last week, I noticed water in the bottom of my A2 tub. WTF? The metal had ||> REALLY corroded bad. Stunk too. So I pressure washed it out, dried in the ||> sun and sprayed down with LPS. ||>

||> This morning I walk down, and a different tub has liquid in it. One sniff ||> told me the source. SOCKS! My SO's favorite cat. If I tell my honey to ||> choose between Socks and me, I'll be a lookin' for a new place to live. ||> The shop is his place, he allows me in if I keep fresh food and litter ||> boxes. ||>

||> So what could I put in the tubs to either make the cat not pee there ||> (impossible I think). Or something to keep my stock from corroding to ||> death when he does his thing next time? ||>

||> Karl ||>

You beat me to it. But instead of paying $25, use that (low-voltage, low wattage) wall-wart that you have forgotten what it was for. For that matter a 9 Volt transistor radio battery would work great - Put one to your tongue for a 'taste'. Now imagine that on the end of your pecker. Put a couple of alligator clips on it and hook up as indicated. Let Socks complete the circuit.

A friend of mind applied this technique to a neighborhood free-range tomcat that was rusting the LR wheel of his AMX on a regular bassis. Some screen wire laid on the driveway beside the wheel, and a 110V cord connected to that and the bumper (back when they were steel). A banshee howl interrupted the 10:00 news, and the problem ...stopped.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Snap several of those cheap dollar store 9V batteries together in series for more voltage and plenty enough current..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My cat couldn't handle the smell of Fast Orange hand cleaner. Cats also don't like coyote pee. OTOH, that cure may be worse than the disease.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Lids.

Reply to
Pete Bergstrom

Advice from a fellow cat owner. I think you're looking at it the wrong way. A cat doesn't suddenly start to pee in new places for no reason. There are several possibilities:

  1. He's got a urinary problem -- not uncommon with altered male cats. You should take him to the vet for a check up, to rule that possibility out. Check to see if he is pissing in the bins instead of in the litter box. If there's plenty of pee in the litter box, then he's probably marking territory -- see 4 below. If there's little or no pee in the litter box it could be 2 or 3 below.
  2. You're not keeping the litter box clean enough. If I miss two days, I can expect to find a lump of cat doo on my desk.
  3. You've pissed him off in some way and he's sending you a message. Think back to when he started this routine and figure out what it is you did to annoy him.
  4. He's marking territory. This is a tough one to fix. Moth balls are okay and a deterent -- unless he gets really serious about it and starts pissing on the mothballs. You can also start moving the bins around at a random. Take the metal out of the various bins, clean them very thoroughly with strong-smelling detergent, except for one that you leave as stinky as he gets it. Put a bit of litter in that one and see if he goes for it. You might get him to be satisfied with the idea that that one bin is for him. Also, put some sharp (e.g., rods) upright around the edges so that he doesn't have a safe place to squat .. cats hate to have their comfort assailed.
  5. A really persistent territory marker can't be easily cured. You might try chucking him up in a four-jaw, or mounted between centers in the obvious places, with a lathe dog around his neck. As a less drastic measure, I found that all of my cats absolutely hated the noise of the vaccum cleaner and the air compressor. Just turn one of them on when he enters the shop and keep the litter box elsewhere.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

moth balls and a lid

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:49:01 GMT, "Boris Beizer" calmly ranted:

You, sir, are WAAAAAAAAAY too tolerant. I'd be eating Shanghai Special Delight that very night if that happened.

Uh, huh. Scenario 2: Why did the kid break your windshield? A: Because you parked directly in his path to his neighbor's house and forced him to take 11 extra steps to get there. It's your fault, not his. I love psychologists. ;)

Bingo! "Honey, Socks is your cat and he's ruining my shop. Please find another place to keep the litter box and I'll consider letting both of you stay." Or something like that.

Otherwise, maybe he could try the FastOrange on rags strewn about the shop. Or find something else which is pleasant to humans but not to Socks. The fence charger idea might be a last step if he's too WOOS to confront said cat's owner. ;)

- - Let Exxon send their own troops -

Comprehensive Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is he fixed? Is the litter box cleaned every day? Even if both are answered yes, I would think a 10x18x6 container would look like a litter box to a cat. I think the Lid is the answer.. Good luck Doug

Reply to
Douglas R. Probst

Thanks, everybody for all the tips.

The SO cleaned everything up and is going to try the Orange repellent thing. We have gotten lazy at times about changing his litter box. He used to just s#$%t on the floor to make his point - this must be the next step.

If that don't work, I'll be a hooking up the metal to my fence charger. Its an International Weed Chopper - strongest charger made, they don't sell them anymore because they started too many fires. You should be able to hear the cat all the way to California.

If its hopeless, I'll have to put everything in containers with tops or lids. This would mean all new much larger containers. Bet the SO buys 'em for Xmas to avoid me torturing the cat.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:44:33 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote: ||Otherwise, maybe he could try the FastOrange on rags strewn ||about the shop.

Now I'm curious. What's this about? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Speaking of moth balls reminds me of the old question,

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?

Beer nuts $1.49 a bag, deer nuts always under a buck!

I am WAY too easily amused.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Regional Technical School Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811
Reply to
Errol Groff

No kidding. Ever see a cat levitate? Ours does when I turn the compressor on. They also skulk around when they even *see* the vacuum cleaner come out. Hate the thing.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

My advice is to simply ban the cat from your shop. That's what I do, I don't feel right about them waltzing around where there are chips or oil.

So the rule is, no cats in the basement shop.

Tell your SO that its for the cat's own good.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Karl, give naphthalene a try.

See:

should be used where there is adequate ventilation but will most likely keep the cat out of the tubs.

bob g.

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Dear Boris, You've got truth on your side but... I'm going to spend time worrying about what I may have done to piss off a cat? I'm closer to the guy who suggested burying the cat in the back yard. I'm not quite there but to spend a lot of time psychoanalyzing the cat when the brute force approach will probably work...?

bob g.

Boris Beizer wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway