Any tips for finding air compressor leak?

I have an IR home-shop compressor (20 gal, 1 1/2 hp) with a leak. I just measured & timed it: in 17 hours the pressure dropped from 100 psi to 55. This means the compressor runs several times a day just to maintain pressure. It is loud, so this is annoying.

In an attempt to find the leak, I sprayed soapy water on EVERYTHING: the entire tank, the drain fittings, the "Christmas tree" fittings (pressure switch, guage, etc). I even disconnected the pump output line to see if the check valve was leaking back into the pump. I found a small leak in the pressure guage connection, which I fixed (tightened). It STILL leaks (but not the pressure guage)!!

Now it has become a challenge. I've GOT to find that leak! Before I start taking parts off to eliminate them as leaks, does anybody have any tips/tricks for finding leaks that might save me the work?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt