Anybody have a Digital SLR they have outgrown?

Got the bug for a digital SLR. Doesnt need to be a hip slick and cool fancy one. Just cheap and functional. Need at least one lens for it, No need for anything more than about 8 or so megapixels.

Im currently using a couple Olympus Camedia C4000 and C5000 and they work fine..but was organizing my collectables film camera cabinet tonight and got a wild hair for a Digital SLR.

Its getting harder and harder to get 35mm and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 film processed. Shrug And digital would be a hell of a lot better for the kind of picture taking I do. I still have a couple 4x5s on the shelf..but its been years..decades since I loaded a film holder and itrs unlikely I ever will again.

Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple others. Sigh

Buy/swap/trade/free

Gunner, cheap bastard to the core.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Look for an old, used Nikon D40; Buy/swap/trade/free

+1
Reply to
Larry Jaques

The wonders of digital are also why there are some places it isn't allowed to be used (although this is changing slowly). Namely things like crime scenes and investigations. Many will not accept digital images because they can be easily altered.

Reply to
Steve W.

Uncoraborated photographic evidence does not stand up in court - even fil today, because it is also possible to "film" digitally altered images.

Reply to
clare

O.K. -- I had to check the auction to see whether it had the two notches for aligning the negative holders or the riveted on ring which allowed any angle in the later ones. (I wound up with a Chromega D series with three autofocus tracks - in addition to a B series with two autofocus tracks which took the smaller holders in the series.)

No -- I don't need them now -- but with this broken arm, no way to even look them over. They're on the rafters of a shed right now. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Um, I think I'll wait to find a needy collector.

The _china_ cabinet. Yes, I did. I don't recall the cameras at all.

My sister had one of those Camedia 3Ks and it was a finicky bitch (her words.) She traded it for a smart phone with a cam. Go figure!

I've been eyeing those flash strobe kits. Cheap Chiwanese? And I could use one with my white translucent umbrella and stand.

40w $15 w/ free shipping.

Whatever floats yer boat, sir.

Right.

OK.

As well you should. They're great!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I know.

Yeah, those and phone videos really do suck. How about the hand movement of 99.9% of those vids, too? Veritable Parkinsons.

Good, you answered my unasked question.

What for, to print posters and billboards?

Perzactly.

NEW PROJECT: I'm wiring in the two 3W LED backup lamps I bought which arrived yesterday. They're drilled through the plastic portion of the center of the dock bumper Sucha deal! I'm getting ten more for $9.95 total if they accept my offer. Otherwise, they sell for the rich price of $10.99, shipped. I can use these in flashlights more easily than the MR16 format.

5500k, 3w, 12v, screw back with nut.

I'm bidding on a pair of 10w of the same style, like these:

Larry Jaques

Kodachrome sheet film was discontinued in 1951.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, and I loved them.

Shades of Ansel...

Cool. So there is -one- niche for the larger formats.

Yeah, I can imagine.

I got them wired this morning, all soldered into the wiring harness for the 7-pin trailer plug. They say "120 degree", but I doubt they are that wide. I'll know how bright they are tonight when it's dark. They appear brighter at 5' than the existing BU lights.

For the boat cabin, though, you want these $2.44 monsters. 48 SMD LED panels.

(ooh, they're lower-priced now!)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was quite pleased with them over the years.

The D-series one was a surplus auction win, and it turned out to have come from upstairs of where my wife worked. :-)

Gotta have kids, first. :-) Kinda late for that by now.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

He was a photographer even before he went to Vietnam :-)

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

Yep!

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

I can think of just the righyneighbor.

Thanks!

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I used to drive a 11x14 View Camera. The tripod was 20ft tall when spread out ready for the camera. I used the camera without the "Battle Field" tripod. Took some nice pictures of Dad and Mom and Dad. Shot outdoors and in. Film was cheap enough - free. Developing was done at MY photo lab in AFRS. Note No T in it as of yet.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I thought we were going to hear about a secret stash he got from Rochester, and running K-14 in his darkroom sink. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gonna wait a very long time. The Argus cameras have little collector value, even in NOS condition.

Film camera equipment with rare exceptions has gone down in value over the past 20 yrs. My Hasselblads were $500 cameras in the 1980s..and they are still about that in price. Given that $500 was a lot of money then..and not much now...

The Speed Graphics were worth about the same 15 yrs ago..now they are selling on Ebay for $150-300. And those are not considered "low end" consumer cameras

My Zeiss Ikonta was worth $300 15 yrs ago...they are selling on Ebay for $50 today.

Which is one of the reasons I gave up buying "collectable" cameras for anything other than because I like some of them.

I bought my wife a very nice Sony point and shoot last year, extra battery packs, nice compact case, extra memory cards, card reader to plug into her computer etc etc.

She still uses her phone for 90% of her photos..and most of them utterly suck in low light. She emails me blurry photos of the dogs and grand kids daily. Works well enough in broad daylight..but indoors....the photos suck with loud slurping noises.

They work well enough until they die..then you buy another one. Crom knows they are cheap enough and indeed do the job. Like Harbor Freight tools.

To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and

150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

Im sure there are some cameras out there that can do it...IE government stuff probably..but its in the many many thousands of dollars.

now its not really important if you are printing corner to corner..but taking something thats in the photo and blowing it up for detail..thats where it really..really shows up.

Now if you are simply looking at the photos on a computer screen...hell 640x480 has been adequate for a long time..which is far "grainier" than Tri-x pushed hard.

Hence my desire for a DSLR with no more than 8-10 MP..I simply dont need it and the file size goes through the freaking roof at high resolution. Put 50 such photos on a 700 mb CD ( or less)

I used to do a lot of archtechtural and industrial photos and some weddings. Then SLRs got cheap..and Uncle Bob was doing the photos..suddenly there wasnt enough money in it to make a living. And that happened in only a couple years. I got into professional photography at the tail end..didnt have a long term reputation though I did excellent work...so had to find another way to make a living. Lots of one time pro photogs found themselves out of the business the same way for the same reason.

The Linhoff was the camera I used for architectural photos..the only type of camera that can be used (properly) to do buildings and materials closeup.

If you dont know what I mean...

Had a Calumet too, but sold it years ago for 4x what I paid for it.

Im still looking. There are just so many out there..I dont know what to get. With electronics being as they are..some are good..some are excellent..some are shit.

Shrug

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Gunner Asch