Which Digital cam are you currently using?

Hello everyone. Im ready to upgrade my digital for general and model-specific photography. Ive been using an Olympus 300 for the last couple of years, and its fine for general photo work (*walkarounds in the hanger, working inside the cockpit, etc) but lacks the ability to dive right in to the cockpit area without killing the photo without the flash going off.

I have tried a lot of things with this cam...its OK outside, but that doesnt do you much good when you are trying to capture an (indoor, usually) event such as a model contest or our club meetings.

I have always liked the Sony Mavica series, but they tend to be pricey used, and often do not come with a battery, etc, just the cam when you purchase used.

What are you using now that you are happy with (Digital wise, my old standby Canon AE-1 has worked for 20+ years) and that feels good when your working with it? I am using the smaller Olympus, and want to move to a physically larger camera that is easier to hold and work with.

Thanks and happy modeling! David Campbell

Reply to
rotarywingmodeler

I've got the Olympus C-8080. Its been to Asia and back, and hasn't given me any problems. I bought it from Willouhby's in NYC. I'd recommend them any day. Prices were great, and service was fantastic. I discovered after I'd bought it that both my father and grandfather had been customers since the '50's!

Reply to
Robert Bush

You have a plethora of choices nowadays but in reality your decision is usually based around the purpose or use of the equipment, If your intention is to do occasionally shooting, many 4-5 megapixel camera will do.

A fully-featured Kodak digital camera intrigued me- partly due to its price of approximately $300 Canadian and I found last-years model being cleared at

1/3 less (you can generally expect to pay $100 for each megapixel and up) and the features- small but affordable SD card, supplementary hard drive (very few other digital cameras have this back-up for when you run out of memory space on your storage card) and an excellent German lens/optics system.

Here are some Kodak choices: Kodak EasyShare C340 Storage media: Integrated Memory,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 16 MB, Optical zoom: 3 x, Sensor resolution: 5.4 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Optical viewfinder, Weight: 145 g, Digital zoom: 5 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare C360 Storage media: Integrated Memory,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 3 x, Sensor resolution: 5.1 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Optical viewfinder, Weight: 150 g, Digital zoom: 5 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare P850 Storage media: Integrated Memory,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 12 x, Sensor resolution: 5.1 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Electronic viewfinder, Weight: 403 g, Digital zoom: 3.3 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare V530 Storage media: Integrated Memory,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 16 MB, Optical zoom: 3 x, Sensor resolution: 5 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Fixed eye level pentamirror, Weight: 130 g, Digital zoom: 4 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare V550 Storage media: Integrated Memory,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 3 x, Sensor resolution: 5 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Electronic viewfinder, Weight: 143 g, Digital zoom: 4 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare Z730 Storage media: SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 4 x, Sensor resolution: 5 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Optical viewfinder, Weight: 224 g, Digital zoom: 4 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare Z740 Storage media: Integrated Memory,MultiMedia Card,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 10 x, Sensor resolution: 5.36 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Optical viewfinder, Weight: 287 g, Digital zoom: 5 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare Z7590 Storage media: Integrated Memory,SmartMedia Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 10 x, Sensor resolution: 5 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Optical viewfinder, Weight: 350 g, Digital zoom: 3 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare CX 7525 Storage media: MultiMedia Card,SD Memory Card, Optical zoom: 3 x, Sensor resolution: 5 Megapixels, Weight: 178 g, Digital zoom: 5 x Digital Camera Kodak Kodak EasyShare CX 7530 Storage media: Integrated Memory,MultiMedia Card,SD Memory Card, Supplied memory size: 32 MB, Optical zoom: 3 x, Sensor resolution: 5 Megapixels, Viewfinder type: Optical viewfinder, Weight: 190 g, Digital zoom: 5 x

However, if you ready for some more professional shooting, and you are used to the Canon AE-1 already, why not look at the latest Canon or Nikon range of digital SLRs. I own a Canon Digital Rebel (6.3 Megapixel) and Digital Rebel XT (8 Megapixel) since I do professional work as a writer/editor for a magazine. You will pay approximately $1000.00 for each- go for the Rebel XT (1/3 lighter, faster and higher resolution than its earlier predecessor).I also suggest that because it not a far stretch for a former Canon user to simply upgrade. (I still have 5 AE-1s, 3 EOSs and a multitude of lenses, flashes and accessories left over; another advantage to staying in one line is the interchangeability of many of these components.)

Reply to
Bill Zuk

Wow! Great information guys! Thanks much..if there is further input where we can keep the costs down (that is a factor for me-400USD and under) we will be in shape! I tried the Kodak 740 today and liked the way it felt and worked, juts curious about those low-light level situations :)

thanks again! David

Reply to
rotarywingmodeler

in article snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 10/2/05

2:55 PM:

The best way I have found is to look for the end-of-production or just out of production models. As I had previously indicated, I purchased a Kodak 5 Megapixel camera that was virtually identical to the latest variant at 1/3 off. Some camera and electronics stores do sell customers their display models or even the so-called "re-packs."

These cameras are ones that have been returned to the factory after being opened for display at a store or returned for any minor problem such as a missing manual or CD disc. The factory will typically check the camera and its systems out and then re-pack it for resale but at a substantially reduced price but with a warranty.

I picked up a brand-new Canon digital camcorder for $700.00 while the MSRP was over $1200.00. The camera, unexpectedly had a stiff mechanism while loading. The Canon factory then repaired (I'm guessing replaced) the camera immediately and it has been giving excellent service ever since.

Look for these specials- it's worth your while to ask for them at the camera store.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

in article snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 10/2/05

2:55 PM:

Use the "night" setting to get some spectacular landscapes; it can also be effective in other situations.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

couldn't you just buy a last-year's-model or earlier, Digital SLR (Nikon, Canon, etc.) and enjoy picking up relatively inexpensively, a huge range of SLR lenses that people no longer think they can use?

I got a macro lens for my Canon EOS for $60 - this was a lens worth hundreds when SLR was all you could buy for quality pics. With this lens (when I get a digital SLR) will be able to take a super detailed pic at several inches distance. Also, you can add ancillary lenses to an existing lens to give a macro capability.

just an idea

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I use a Nikon Coolpix 995, and have been very happy with it. I like it's macro modes so much that I have been using it exclusively for shooting models and have yet to take it out of my house!

I think it's been superceeded by the 4500, which is a bit smaller. If I had spare bux, I'd buy one...though I'm not sure on the current availability of either.

Reply to
Rufus

I used a Nikon Coolpix 990 for a few years and was very satisfied with it. now my wife uses it and I have a Nikon 8700. Still quite satisfied. Lens is sharp, color is good, and the macro focusing is hard to beat. Both cameras focus down to less than an inch. The old 990 was a 3.2 mp camera while the

8700 is a full 8 mp.

The odd thing is, I paid less for the newer camera. Prices on digicams are still coming down for what you get.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I use a Kodak DX6440. It's my first digicam & I'm realy pleased with it.

Reply to
frank

I've got a model year 2001 Kodak DC365 that I've been using. I bought it new and have really been impressed with it. Takes good closeups (for showing cockpit detail) and is good for general photography, too. Id did have the CPU go wonky on me, though. I have to use the external power supply for it to work at all. Called Kodak and they told me it would cost as much to get it fixed as to buy a new one! So, since I've mainly been using it for model photography, anyway, I decided to hang on to it.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Hi David,

I use 2 Nikon Cameras: a D70 and a coolpix 5700... but more ans more the D70 with Nikon AF 18-70, Nikon AF 70/210 Lens (macro) and a Nikon

80-400 VR.

It seems for me the best combinaisins available today.

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

Currently I use an Plympus C-2100 UZ which is more than adequate for models and simple snapshots. I plan to get a Canon D-20 so I can use my existing lenses and produce publication grade output in .tif or .raw formats....most of it's use will be as a research tool and taking photos of drawings & documents.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

in article snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net, snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com at snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com wrote on 10/3/05 5:45 PM:

If you are considering the Canon digital SLRs, don't discount the Digital Rebel XT- I have been mightily impressed with not only its performance but it was a much more economical choice over the Canon "professional" range alongside with its lighter weight which fits my need of having to shoot out of aircraft which I am occasionally called upon to do.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

The D-20 has features I need that the Rebel doesn't given the majority of the use I intend it for. Keep in mind it is a business expense, not a personal luxury expense, were it purely a personal item I'd go with the Rebel and have no qualms.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

The essentials for photographing scale models are:

- a macro setting so you can take pictures at close range

- good light sensitivity (ISO value as high as possible) [1]

- an image stabilizer would help (unless you plan on using a tripod)

- the option to shoot RAW images instead of JPEG (less chance of noise ruining the image)

1: You want to be able to make indoor photos without using a flash. With my camera (Fuji Finepix S5000) the lens (f=2.8) and sensitivity (400 ISO) result in 1/10-1/50 s exposure times, which is only usable if you use a tripod. I cheat by shooting 4-6 pics of the same subject, usually one of them will be sufficiently sharp.

With 1600 ISO, exposure would be 4 times shorter. A better lens also helps (f=2.0 would halve the exposure time, IIRC), but better than f=2.8 usually means you need an SLR.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

I use a 4+ year old Olympus C 4040Z

It dosnt shoot in RAW, though there is a *hack* that will allow it. It DOES have an f/1.8 lens, and noise reduction, so it works for me.

Digital Rebel is next years present to self :)

AM

Reply to
AM

While I DO have a digicam, models are one thing I do NOT shoot with it. I only have a point & shoot digicam, but you need an SLR for models. So until I can afford a digital SLR I keep my film SLR for models.

The reason is, when you use closeup lenses or macro lenses to get close to model, you must be very careful about where you place the best plane of focus, and no electronic viewfinder or screen has the resolution needed to do this. In an SLR you view the focus directly.

In either case, when doing model photography a tripod is more important than what kind of camera you use. The plane of best focus must be placed within a fraction of an inch, and you must use LONG exposure to get depth of field. Both of these requirements demand a tripod.

BTW, I have a cheap print scanner, so if I need the photo in digital form it is easy enough to scan the print.

Reply to
Don Stauffer