Anybody here know about semi-sophisticated plumbing?

I posted the message below a couple days ago but with a different subject.

Since this involves metal plumbing I figger it's probably OK to post my questions. Because of the way my house is plumbed it takes a long time for the water to get hot at a few fixtures. I could put little water heaters at these fixtures but that would require running power to the fixtures. Though this could be done it wouldn't be easy. I looked at two types of recirculating systems and both are lacking. One relys on a thermostatic valve opening up between the hot and cold pipes when the hot side cools enough. For the system to work a pump must be operating , to keep the hot side at a higher pressure. The other system I looked at requires running wires from each fixture. The wires power a solenoid valve and provide a signal to turn on a pump. But that would require running wire which as already stated isn't that easy. I'm wondering if maybe a check valve and a differential switch could be used to turn on the pump when the thermostatic valve opens. The valve doesn't require power and each fixture can have its own valve. Or just one valve can be installed at the furthest fixture. Advice anyone? Thanks, Eric

P.S. I don't want to run wires to the fixtures, it's a big hassle and I am looking for a solution to avoid it. I think a pressure differential switch may be the solution. If I wanted to use a timer I wouldn't have asked about the switch. A timer is not a good solution.

Reply to
etpm

Your specification is vague and incomplete and forces us to make assumptions. Forget the hardware for a moment, what are you trying to achieve from the user's perspective?

For example, is the recirculating pump triggered by the water cooling, by someone at the remote faucet, or by someone going to the remote one because the more convenient bathroom is busy?

The last may be the simplest to implement if you can locate the pump button on short wiring at a traffic choke point like the stairs. If they forget they have to wait a little longer, or wash in room temp water.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins