Anyone ever pay to have drills sharpened?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever paid to have drill bits sharpened?
If so what does it cost?
Reply to
Waynemak
On my general price list I show .75 for 1/4 0r less 1.00 for 1/2 or less 2.50 for 3/4 or less Web thinning and point splitting used to be an extra charge but I was never charging it unless the drills were abused. I use a Darex M5 mostly, but I freehand my own bits. I live in CT where everything costs more due to high taxes. Income, Sales and Use, Property, Cap gains
Reply to
bamboo
I live in CT as well, I have a Darex m5 also, but the web thining part is missing, with the drill holders I have i can just about make it to 3/4".
Where do you live in CT?
Reply to
Waynemak
I paid, once, to buy a Drill Doctor.
Ignoramus19437
Hey Wayne,
There was a company at IMTS 2004 that had a real slick and quick service, all CNC and automatic, but I can't find them at the moment. Chicago, Illinois or Indiana if I recall. Name like "Hughes" maybe. I recall asking if they would be interested in doing maybe 10 pounds at a time, and they said "Sure!!" If I come across the literature later, I'll post it.
Anyway, Google says try:
Where are you located? A big part of the cost for doing these things is in the shipping.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Same here, like it. Do you do anything smaller than about 1/8" on it? I can't get a good index for the smaller drills with the chuck. Any suggestions?
Dave Hinz
Reply to
Dave Hinz
I am in New London Below 1/8" it gets tricky Below 1/16 it's not worth the effort. You probably will need optics a loupe or an optivisor if you are going to turn out good work on the smaller bits.
Tom
Reply to
bamboo
Yes, buy new bits ;-)
IMO, using a Drill Doctor on bits smaller than 1/4" is a waste of time. Get a magnifier and compare the flutes on a cheapo #60 bit with the same features on a high quality bit. There is a huge difference in quality between the 29 cent bit and the one that costs $1.15. I'd rather spend the extra 86 cents than drill crooked holes. The consumer-grade sharpeners just don't have the tolerances needed to handle small bits and do a good job.
Dave H> >
Reply to
Tim Killian
I have not tried sharpening small bits. I started with 5/8" and it worked great, sharpened everything down to maybe 3/16 or so, I do not remember exactly.
Ignoramus29361
Dave, Check with Lindsay Books, or Lautard's "Bedside Readers". There's a system for sharpening small drill bits that uses a sort of fixture to hold the bit/chuck. With bits smaller than 1/16" it becomes difficult to hold the bit in conventional sharpeners. The problem concerns the way the bit is indexed via the flute. Besides all that, the "grit number" size of the grind wheel begins to approach the area of the bit face.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
Right, that's what I've been having the problem with.
Point of diminishing returns and all that, I think. I'll keep using the Drill Doctor to do the big ones, and keep fishing into the stock of small drills as I need them.
Reply to
Dave Hinz
Grit number becomes insignificant on smaller bits because you end up using superabrasive wheels such as 320 grit Borazon or even finer.
Reply to
bamboo
I found a Black Diamond drill sharpener that uses collets for your # drills and fractional It seems to do a real good job on the smaller ones, my Darex works great for the larger
Reply to
Waynemak