Anyone here into "punkin' chunkin"?

On one of the cable channels last winter I saw a program about a punkin' chunkin' competition held in Morton, Illinois. Do any of you in the Peoria/Morton area know when that competition is being held this year? Am I too late? If I can't see it in person I guess I'll have to be content with watching it on the tube again.

Some of the construction techniques the builders of these machines used are really fantastic. A lot of metal working skills involved. If I remember right one of the air cannons flung a pumpkin close to 1800 yards. Can you imagine adapting one of these machines to military use? Fling 25 pound pigs into terrorist hideouts in the Middle East and see what happens. DL

Reply to
Gunluvver2

I know of a group of retired aerospace engineers that are working on a rail gun for the competition. They are probably years off though, it seems that it's difficult to get this group of primadonas to agree on what time it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nov 5, 6 and 7.

Andy Asberry

Oops. Gave the wrong one. Oct 23 and 24.

Andy Asberry

That program was absolutely enthralling. Some of the punkins went into the woods around the field, and they had a dickens of a time measuring distances. Quite a few different techniques, designs, and principles, too. I like the idea of pig tossing.

Has PITA, pardon me, PETA gotten wind of this yet?

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Gunluvver2

Thanks again

Reply to
Gunluvver2

PETA, People for the Eating of Tasty Animals?

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Regional Technical School Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811
Reply to
Errol Groff

--You bet! Where ya located? I'd like to organize a Left Coast team FWIW, but can't seem to scare up any interest... I'm near Santa Rosa, CA..

Reply to
steamer

Too far for me. I'm in Nebraska. Morton, Ill is only about a 8 hour drive for me. I can't make it this year but I am sure going to try to make it next year.

What part of California raises the most punkins? I'm guessing around Watsonville or close by. If you get anything going out there post it here. I have a SoCal visit on my agenda for next year too. DL

Reply to
Gunluvver2

This was often done in the middle ages with a catapult like device called a trebuchet. These had a large swing arm with a sling on one end and a heavy weight on the other. When the weight was released the projectile was flung.

Some drawings and other info:

Roger Shoaf

Half Moon Bay in SF bay area has world class pumkin weigh off. This years winner was 1225 lbs.

Reply to
ShakasCaregiver

Half Moon Bay is the site of the Pumpkin festival, but I think the town with the biggest production is around Modesto IRRC.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Id give it a shot

Cant travel much, but what ever I could help with.

Gunner, Bakersfield and Southern California.

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner