Jacobs #2 taper setup

OK this is a stupid question however I don't know the answer so here goes.

Picked up another tapmatic unit that has a Jacobs #2 attachment. Just so happen to have a BT30 tool holder with #2 Jacobs size so now how the heck is it held in???? no set screw but the taper is snug. Is this a heat the tool holder type application?? I'm more interested in using this as it will be used in my cnc and not my manual mill I currently have a tapmatic setup in.

Also to show my ignorance it is to used in a machine that does not have rigid tapping option, so with a 1/4-20 tap in 1018 cold rolled z= .55 what should my g code look like??

It is a Fanuc 0mc control and everything I have read indicates the tap should feed itself into the piece (like my manual knee mill) what would I set my feed rate to??

Thanks for teaching the dummy novice but I am excited to automate this process further. The manual tapping has been a pain and I need to make another 2000 parts next week.

Pedroman

Reply to
Pedroman

Purely friction. A Jacobs taper, like a Morse taper is a "self-holding" taper. The BT-30 mentioned below is a "self-relasing" taper.

Nope -- that will probably damage the clutch in the TapMatic.

Get a set of #2 Jacobs taper wedges (forks) available from most tool supply companies -- I've gotten mine in various sizes from MSC. You place one on each side, straddling the taper, and force them together, either with a vise, or a hammer and soft punch (depending on access) and they will apply the force necessary to pop the arbor's taper out of the TapMatic head. Then replace it with whatever arbor you need.

I have no idea. I would suggest that (assuming it is the kind of TapMatic which I use on a drill press -- with an arm to rest against a stop to operate the reversing gear inside when you start to withdraw) is:

1) Feed down at a steady speed matching the RPM of the spindle so the head keeps up with the tap, and doesn't overrun it. 2) Pause for a few revolutions at a fixed distance from the bottom (Determined by how far this tapping head can feed before the dog clutch disengages. On some models this is adjustable, on others it is fixed, and the slip torque is adjustable instead. 3) Withdraw at a somewhat higher speed, as the gearing turns the tap faster in reverse. 4) Move to location of next hole.

5) GOTO (1)

What is your spindle RPM?

Can you set the feed to a distance per revolution? If so, just calculate from the thread pitch and feed at that rate. If not, feed at an IPM derived from multiplying the pitch by the spindle RPM.

Since I don't have a Fanuc equipped machine, I have no idea what gotchas it may have, so what I offer above is generic, and it is up to you to find the right G-codes, as you presumably have the Fanuc manual available to you. I don't.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols