Digital Caliper into Drill Press SRO

Has anyone turned a digital caliper into a cheap DRO for a drill press, can
you point me to dwgs or photos? Thanks
Reply to
Franklin Newton
I think this is being done quite regularly. Additionally, you don't have to buy a cheap caliper, you can buy a cheap digital scale. I believe MSC/Travers/ Emco all have something that might help. Here's a page with some ideas:
The folks who have the smaller Chinese mills/drills/lathes are doing some pretty fun things. I've been trying to figure out how to extend my digital caliper. Someone makes an extension bar for the standard six inch variety. Anyone know about those?
Charles Morrill
Reply to
Charles Morrill
Hey Franklin,
I would think that there are too many "styles" of quills and spindles to find a generic method of adapting a standard hand-held digital caliper to your use. And in any event, the portion of the read-out you want to "see" will not be horizontal after you install it. It will require severe head-cocking for you to look at it. That's why they make, for roughly the same price, a DRO for use on quills, which will give the proper horizontal viewing. Although these may be adaptable to many different machines, they will normally have a bracket set supplied to allow easy install on a Bridgeport quill. Only word or advice I have is to get one that is for the same stroke as the machine, otherwise you have to goof around to adapt it. That from a guy who got one with a 6" stroke instead of 5,, and had to screw around to make it fit.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Take a look at
Scott Shumate produces a neat "build-it-yourself" set of parts to construct DROs using the Chinese scales as input devices. There is also a very extensive discussion group on Yahoo groups that provides "mutual aid" to users of the Shumatech devices.
Ed Greeley
Frankl> Has anyone turned a digital caliper into a cheap DRO for a drill press, can
Reply to
Edward Greeley
No kidding. I build and sell multi spindle drill/ream attachments for drill presses and Bridgeport style machines. You can't possibly imagine how many different quill diameters, lengths, even stepped or staggared diameters there are.
The Jet, Grizzly and some other brands that are less expensive (but readily purchased) sometimes even change their measurements from year to year as their suppliers change so a manufacturer of adapters would have to spend a lot of time making sure they were the correct one for your machine (as I do) prior to selling you something.
Now... I won't even get into what has to be done for CAT40/50 style applications.
Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...
Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.
Reply to
Joe
There is a device called a Cal-X-Tender on the market that comes in various lengths. See
Randy
Reply to
Randal O'Brian
Edward, thank you!