Anyone see this machine?

John Deere walking machine, dunno if it's been mentioned here before.

JohnM

--Very kewl! Have seen little R/C and autonomous versions but that's the first big one I've seen. Seems to be a far cry from that behemoth built in the '60s or was it the '70s..

Reply to
steamer

Looks like it might be useful militarily. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yep, they worked so well in _The Empire Strikes Back_.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It was much discussed in a thread called "tree Huggers don't look" before that degenerated into a bunch of political namecalling.

Cool machines for forestry use in places where you don't wish to tear up the soil.

For what it is to do, usually mounting a harvester head on a boom for harvesting trees, it rarely gets outrun by the quarry. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Only as a slow moving target...

Reply to
cavalamb himself

WHAT? You've never heard of 'plant runners'? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Seen em.

They are not quite as fast as the machine.

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

You haven't seen some of the crap that grows in FLorida. You'd swear it has legs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Kudzu is the biggie down there, Yes?

On Vancouver Island it was the Blackberries where there was soil, and the Broom where it was too dry for Blackberries.

At least there was always a crop of Blackberries to snack on!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

And then there`s the stuff that really does have legs.. those enormous roaches euphemistically called `Palmetto bugs`

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Don't badmouth palmetto bugs. They make great paving stones for your sidewalks. They aren't durable enough for the driveway, though. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Kudzu is bad, along with Spanish Moss for killing trees. Then we have Dragonflies that are larger than some birds. Have you ever seen a large Banana Spider?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale we used to catch them in the bottom of garbage cans, stuff them into a sliding matchbox, and take them to school to race them on the playground. We used a dot or two of nail polish on their backs to identify them.

"Palmetto bug" is a term brought to us by Florida real estate agents. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Along with 'Lakefront property' for mosquito infested ponds. If we didn't have so many Dragonflies, Florida would be unlivable.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, don't leave your car parked in a corner of the lot over a weekend if there is giant Kudzu on the trees just beyond. When you come back next week, the lot seems smaller, and you can't find the car! Just a big pile of the Kudzu over in the corner...... (cue ominous music)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Having had an interest in kudzu a few years ago, I learned that it can grow one foot per day. That's one rippin' weed.

We had some worries about it in south Jersey some years back but it's not a problem here. It can't stand a real freeze, so it gets killed off here every once in a while.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Spent a couple months in Honduras. Quite the entertainment was had, between the roaches, the scorpions, and the really huge praying mantises there.

That did not even start to take into account the varieties of lizards about that place.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

That's the thread that caused me to remember the machine. It didn't seem worth the effort to go through that whole thread to see if this machine was mentioned there- as you say, it was falling apart fast..

Reply to
JohnM

I like this one too!

LLB