Archery Experiment

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. Or these days, quite possibly, a felon...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I prefer a 50 gal trashbag full of acetylene and oxygen.

Nuclear purple flash, a bang that'll echo for 10 seconds (at least in the hudson valley), surprisingly little destructive power, and no evidence except tiny bits of melted plastic. Dave

My brother did this with a balloon. He taped it to his shop door and stuck the glowing end of a cigarette into it. It knocked him on his ass and blew the door off the hinges. He complained abut ringing in his ears for weeks afterward. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yeah right, 2 lbs of unconfined pyrodex destroyed a stump...

Ignoramus27891

Static electricity will indeed set them off.

Had a quart bag go off in my hands once- wasn't too bad.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

d7-

Try it with H2O2 from an electrolyser. If you used a 50 gal trash bag you will surely wind up in jail, after the emergency ward. Wear ear plugs.

Reply to
knews4u2chew

I was thinking, buy 3-4 helium balloons, tie one balloon full of O/A to them, add a fuse, light the fuse and let it fly up in the air before exploding. Kids might like it.

Ignoramus27891

Long fuse.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Turn it into a science project, fill your ballons with hydrogen/oxygen by electrolysis of water instead of using O/A.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I prefer a 50 gal trashbag full of acetylene and oxygen.

Nuclear purple flash, a bang that'll echo for 10 seconds (at least in the hudson valley), surprisingly little destructive power, and no evidence except tiny bits of melted plastic.

Dave

i graduated college in '82. we messed around w/ oxy-acetylene things there in the metal shop. i posted this once before, i foolishly volunteered to light the "fuse" and it blew up the instant i touched the match to it, right next to me. i completely lost my hearing for a few minutes. was scary. after college us guys rented a "loft" in brooklyn. was the top floor, the wrought iron roof trusses were in our space. i have a faint recollection someone lit a oxy-acetylene thing indoors. was so loud and there was such a shock wave dust gently fell from every truss in the place. i think that's what made us all wide eyed, not so much the blast but that it shook loose dust from all the trusses. we were like "*whoa*".

i don't think i/we ever had the balls to even consider doing a 50 gallon bag. especially after witnessing what (a MUCH smaller) two-taped-together styrofoam soup bowls sounds like.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

THAT will take a while.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Make certain that Air Force One is a long way away! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That gives me mental pictures of Dad wondering how the building got lifted and separated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

.

I've lit mixtures of H2 and O2 from electrolysis, and the reaction did not seem nearly as energetic as acetylene and oxygen.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:01:12 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson scrawled the following:

IOW, it takes a _lot_ to hit the Darwin Awards list.

-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:35:48 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus27891 scrawled the following:

The Chicago PD and DHS will be at your door shortly for even

-thinking- that, Ig. ;)

-- It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self. -- Agnes Repplier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You have given me an idea for a late night large 4th of July aerial display. TY.

Reply to
Steve B

Don't. If you want to fuss around with acetylene, get some calcium carbide and play with it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

....get a kid to light it!

Reply to
RBnDFW

Or not!

Reply to
RBnDFW

Was that your first 'whack' at metal working? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell