Archery Experiment

Ignoramus27891 wrote in news:CsidnehLBduJm_zWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

snipped-for-privacy@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...

We used to fill taped up dry cleaning bags with methane for list, and then hang and oxy-acetylene bag under it. For fusing, we used cannon fuse & "detheramlizer" fuse. Thsi was like havy cotton cord, that would char at about 1/4" a minute. It was used to retrieve model gliders bu releasing the horizontal tail stabilizer after a period of time.

They would get very high up befoe there was a good flash & boom form the O-A, followed by an orange firebal from the methane. No blown out windows, and we all still have (most) of our hearing.

Do not try this at home, etc.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

"azotic" wrote in news:EW78n.21094$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.iad:

It goes bang, but the energy released isn't nearly on a parr with O-A. We did some careful comparisons when I was a kid, and O-A wins hands down.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Flour mill dust explosions can be very nasty for the same reason. They have a 4 to 8 second response time. Bang wait BANG wait Boom wait BOOM wait Kaboom wait KABOOM wait KABOOM!!!!! no more waiting, nothing left

Reply to
RoyJ

Dave__67 fired this volley in news:615d4519-09e0- snipped-for-privacy@m16g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

Acetylene has a free gas molecular weight of about 26. Hydrogen, 2. Oxygen, 32.

67.2L of gas at 2(H2)+1(O2) ratio weighs 34 grams (3 mole volume) 67.2L of gas at 2(C2H2)+10(O2) ratio weighs 93 grams (3 mole volume)

Sooo... The trash bag full of acetylene/O2 has almost 3 times the mass of the H2/O2 mixture.

Consider what the relative explosive force of three sticks of dynamite would be vs. one.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It's not the mass of the gas doing the damage but the energy of the reaction and the speed with which the reaction occurs.

Reply to
Mach1

"Mach1" wrote in news:HrGdnSv2Wd0JvvnWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.sasktel:

In particular, there is a triple bond in acetylene that stores a LOT of energy. When that let's go, you get a lot more bang for your buck than just connecting a couple hydrogen atoms to an oxygen.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Doug White fired this volley in news:Xns9D105F0F31CFAgwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.7:

That's all fine and good, but it's the amount of mass set moving that conveys an explosion's force to the objects around.

If the acetylene reaction were 1000 times as strong as the H/O reaction, and you had 1/10th the mass in Acetylene mix that you had of Hydrogen mix, you'd get the same net explosive force.

Explosion force is not linear with mass.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I didnt make any claim to the legitimacy or accuracy of the letter..just that it was good.

And while Ive had better luck with Pyrodex than you evidently have had..I still guard my stock of Gearhart Owens black powder very carefully.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Simply fill a 3 liter soda bottle about 2/3 full of water, pour in a few ounces of Drano, add a couple bits of aluminum, foil is best but cuttings work, and shake well. Then attach a good sized balloon to the top of the bottle to be filled by the hydrogen Generator you just manufactured.

When filled, take outside, tie closed with Cotton string....long one...light end of cotton string and release.

Up and away!

Hardly makes a sound but sure is pretty when it blows

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Why? An OA rig removes the evidence

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I guess because I played around with it a lot when I was a kid. I grew up in coal mining country and it was easy to get. I never managed to hurt myself worse than ringing ears and a cuff from my dad. There's considerably more potential for destruction with an O/A rig.

Reply to
Jim Stewart