Armature winding lathes

I have looked at several lathes that had spent their lives in the shops of electric motor rebuilders, used solely for winding armatures. Invariably the ways are rusted, apparently having never been oiled. I'm talking more rust than a Scotchbrite would handle. Maybe a file. Is this usually the case, and I need to quit looking at equipment from electrical rebuilders?

Reply to
Rex B

Sometimes the case. Depends on location.

Ive found that in SOME small shops, the rewinders got a lathe that was clapped out and used it for 20 yrs..so its been clapped out twice.

YMMV of course.

Gunner

Gunner

Not really germane to your question, but back when I was in the service (30+ years ago) There was a civilan run shop on one of my duty stations that was the electric motor shop. The had the most amazing machine I had ever seen. I was a motor rewinder. It looked like a cross between a lathe, a mill and a sewing machine. It had spindles for about 20 wire spools and had more cams and cogs and bellcranks and dohickys than you can imagine with a HUGE book on how to set it up. One you got it all rigged it would automatically rewind any size and configuration of field or armature you could imaging. I've always wondered what happend to that old beast, I'm SURE it was surplussed years ago..

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Always wondered how an armature was wound so neat and tight, considering the small gap between each section.

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Dave August wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Rex B posted:

"Always wondered how an armature was wound so neat and tight, considering the small gap between each section."

Same here, but also I wondered even more how the field windings (on the inside) were done.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Gunner posted:

"Ive found that in SOME small shops, the rewinders got a lathe that was

clapped out and used it for 20 yrs..so its been clapped out twice."

Gunner, how about posting a description of how a machine like this operated when rewinding an armature?

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

I think the fields are the easy part. Most I saw were separate pieces that were retained in the housing with screws or glue.

Reply to
Rex B

THe Field is easy. It is wound on a frame and then Bent to fit. Simple as that. Motor repair places have a Jig that holds 4 fingers that are adjustable and locking. Rotates and collects wire.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Harry..I dont have a clue on procedures, other than used for commutator and bearing turning and wire winding. Not my area of expertise. I have seen the lathes they use, not how they do it.

Ever time I look at the windings of a motor I go cross eyed. Particularly the ones that have the wire running in bundles through tunnels in the rotor..thats absolutely fascinating.

Gunner

Gunner