atlas 618 is finally up and turning

Well, Its finally setup and turning. A garage sale $50 atlas/craftsman plain bearing 618, turned into a long project. New spindle bearing (sintered bronze) were needed (and homemade!!), as well as a full cleaning. The ways are worn more near the chuck, then near the tailstock, but then again, its an old lathe.... A couple of new belts, a fabricated 90vdc motor / mount, a KBR controller and she runs smooth!!! Now to adjust her up for smooth and square cutting (had a slight taper on the first cut)... The chuck runs with .002 runout on the outside shell. I haven't checked the runout on a work piece yet, but Ill bet it will be very tight!!!!

I've never run a lathe before, never owned one before, but it sure has been fun. I've been doing all my own work, with help from the Google archives of this group and other internet resources.... The wife says I am drawn to anything that is shine, lights up or goes around.. 2 out of three aint bad for this old lathe!!!!

bob in phx

Reply to
Bob in Phx

[snip]

Congratulations on getting your lathe running. Anyone that buys old iron that doesn't enjoy working on machines has a hole in his head. Every step of getting my acquisitions going has often been heartbreak followed by the thrill of the challenge. Sorta warped but I bet you get it.

Your poor wife. She has no idea of what you are going to be bringing home next. ;)

What are you planning to make in the near future?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

what to make first>>>>>>HUMMMM

I have a 1940's console radio (tube powered!!) that has station buttons. Of course, time has taken its toll on the buttons. So, the first project will be new buttons. The are cylindrical, and attach to a flat shaft that moves in and out. The idea is to make the O.D (with a flange at the bottom), then drill them out, then add a half circle of the same material, then drill and tap for a set screw... I only need 8 of them LOL... all the same size etc... should be a fun little project. I am thinking of plastic, but I might just try brass, because the rest of the face plate is brass, or may be copper...or.......

and yes the wife does understand all about my "issues".... I just pla>

Reply to
Bob in Phx

My favorite part of this hobby is finding old small metal lathes and restoring them. I just finished a 618, and sent it to a good home. Have done several AAs, a 10" Atlas or two, and an Enco.

Enjoy your new lathe

Bob > Well, Its finally setup and turning. A garage sale $50 atlas/craftsman plain

Reply to
Rex