Attn; Canadian smokers

Those stupid cards they stuff in every pack are (plus or minus no nevermind) .005 inch. This is a supply of .005 shims/spacers/whatever just lying around. Any one else got a favorite shim stock that is common?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

photocopy paper: .0035 Notebook paper: .003. Phone book paper: .002 Kirkland alum foil/plastic wrap: .0005 Index card: .010 Normal human hair: .003 Moustache/pubic hair from Russian women: .015/.030

Proctologically Violated©®

According to Ken Davey :

Modern aluminum beverage cans -- 0.001".

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Zigzag paper...,001

Found in half the tool boxes in So.Cal

Some are even used to set tools....

Gunner

Gunner

Hmmm... the cans I used to shim the headstock of my Gingery lathe were

0.005"....

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Sounds like Tom Gardner should source some of that .

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:41:00 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

White or bamboo? (Not that I'd know the difference ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques
îx?uOK1ÅÏî§x§ª`·õà¥-ÕJED[)bo1??&?5ZöÛ;éA?"$ o~oÞ,i]b­eK&`ï)ªIQÌô|ÐÄ)R?¯´k Êa)vªÇÀÄéæmý´]½lo?7?Ð k¹??lî?ÌFzþ?ù]äûÒRP1uº?¾ ?-sù§®¡ÔNù?^á¬3)?
Reply to
Grant Erwin

How many is that in RCHs?

Reply to
Rex B

Grant- Western Family diet cola .004", Coors-a-cola .004". This was after the paint and liner were sanded off. The inner coating and the outer paint added less than .0003" ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Yeah, I think cans are thicker than a thou, which is the thickness of aluminum foil if I recall correctly. That's not enough thickness for rigidity.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Harold's character: .0001 (1x10^-4) Harold's pomp/ego: 10,000 (1x10^4)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

According to Harold and Susan Vordos :

[ ... ]

You both may be right. I don't have any empty ones to measure right now. But they are amazingly thin -- depending on the pressure inside for their strength when in storage.

And they are a lot thinner (and weaker) than they were when I was a kid -- when they were the alternative to brown long-necked bottles, not the green or white glass ones for sodas.. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

And they are a masterpiece of the toolmaker's art. The methods developed (with some of the critical methods developed by Coors Brewing) were 'way ahead of their time, for back-extrusion and for the high-precision tooling used to make the self-contained pop-top.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:40:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex B quickly quoth:

Russian, Irish, or American RCHs?

------------------------------------------------------------ California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Years ago I saw a slow motion video of a pop can being extruded. There was a puck of aluminum sitting in a die about .500" deep. A highly polished ram crept downward (slow motion afterall). When the ram contacted the puck the aluminum shot straight up the polished ram, almost too fast to see. Amazing. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Yes, it is. Back-extrusion was an established technique, but it no way as dramatic as it became with the making of aluminum beverage cans.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I heard it called Impact extrusion a long time ago. I think when toothpaste tubes were made of metal. Must have been about

35 or 40 years ago. ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Yeah, it goes 'way back, and I think that brass cartridges have been made that way since early in the last century.

When aluminum can-making got going, there was a lot of fancy toolmaking work involved, which raised it to a new level.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress