Auto Body Welding and Air Compressors

I suppose you could spray paint by filling your cheeks with paint and then sneezing.

Trial and error tends to produce best results with a method that has technical advantage for one reason or another. That isn't to say that acceptable results can't be obtained with alternative methods.

I have visited a number of restoration shops and body shops. They all run Ag25, none that I've seen run straight CO2.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I had a commercial welder over to the house yesterday, and he was wondering how long that tiny little bottle of gas on the back of my Mig lasted. I told him...about 6 months. He backed up, gave me a really funny look and a sneer. Then he read the lable on the bottle..and raised his eyebrows..asked...can you really weld with straight Co2?????

I fired it up, laid out some scrap and handed him a hood and the gun, and told him to have at it.

He ran some beads, beat some iron..and mumbled that it worked pretty damned well..and asked if Id told anyone about it?

Chuckle.....

Its not as common in shops as one would expect, which I find really odd.

Shrug

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

My suggestion to RogerN would be to try both at a welding shop. Be sure to try it on metal of the thickness you plan to weld, e.g. 24 gage autobody steel.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Indeed. I can say its better than sliced bread, and it gives him crappy results, or he says its impossible, and it works well for someone else.

Shrug.

Try it and write up a report.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A maintenance man I used to work with was telling me he knew a good welder that welded cracks in cast iron engine blocks with ordinary steel electrodes, the welds held and the man guaranteed his work. It is interesting what can be done with certain technique.

I read about a guy that won a bet by welding two pieces of aluminum foil together using an ordinary electric welder and steel rods, he laid the aluminum foil together, laid a piece of 1/8" steel on top, ran a bead down the steel, the heat welded the foil together.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I didn't know Century ever made one with continuous heat control. Years ago there was a guy named Altovoz who swore by Century equipment. Most others swore at Century gear (and Altovoz) but the proof is always the welding. In your case, the trick will be whether or not it'll turn down far enough to work well on thin body metal. With continous voltage adjustment, AG25 gas and .023" wire it just might.

I regard them as indispensable, especially now that they've become so inexpensive. You can get a very acceptable one with variable shade (darkness) for under $50 at Harbor Freight. I got one for my daughter, tried it, and found it completely acceptable. Don't recall which stock number now, sorry.

Reply to
Don Foreman