What do you think about plastic sheds like this:

Could a shed like this stand up to, say, 15 years of Illinois climate.

I know that I should not put any metal stuff in there that I do not want to rust, I will use it for regular garden stuff. Would it be a mistake to buy?

Ignoramus11285

$1,149.99????????????????????

Blink blink....blink......

$564.00

Quite frankly...one could simply build their own wooden shed of good size, 10x12, etc etc for $500 or less.

either way..you will likely need either a good wood subbase, or pour a slab.

I put one up, similar to the last one in 1986, and its still just fine, but then..I live in the desert. Foggy as hell in the winter time however. Cost me $325 as I recall in '86

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ignoramus11285 on Sat, 26 Jun

2010 23:53:23 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cute, but "ouch". OTOH, I spent about $1200 on a "similar" shed from Lowes/Home Depot - also extruded plastic. But I also "threw together" a base for it, which was most of it, as I recall. [Actually, I made noises like a bank, and my friend with the air nailer said "hold this" while he did his thing. (Nice to have friends who know what they are doing.)] If I had it to do again, I'd probably get the extension, and put it in a different place.

the advantage to the Extruded Resin is that the building is very sturdy. We had a foot of snow last winter - unusual for this part of the world, and a lot of the metal shed buckled. Collapsed even. So did many of the picturesque old wooden sheds and barns. They don't rust. Draw back is that they are bit more expensive than the metal ones. And I probably could have bought a lot more "shed" if I had built it from 2x4s and plywood - but the "kits" let me get it all done "quickly" (I'm paying for someone else to do the measure and cutting") Time or money - usually one or the other is more plentiful.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Have you looked at wood construction? I built a 8' x 8' one about 25 years ago. Used pressure treated materials for the floor and set it on top of two rail road ties I got cheap so there is ventilation under it.

Just offering other options.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wes, I did build a wooden shed 8 years ago, which is still in great shape.

Now I think that it is too much work an I have too many projects.

Ignoramus12901

You could add a wood frame inside to reinforce it and support heavy- duty shelves. Then you'd have the strength of 4x4 corner posts with no extra finishing work.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's about 3x what I paid for mine and that was with the extra extension kit. Mine isn't nearly as fancy, though. The advantage of these over wood buildings is that they can be thrown up in a day or so. Also can be taken down and moved, if needed. Mine came with a foundation kit. That was the major task, building the foundation. Mine has a pretty elaborate roof truss system, supposed to be good for

20 lbs/sq ft. It's had 4' of heavy snow on it and we've had 120 mph winds, still standing. I'd prefer an end entrance to the side entrance myself, just makes rolling equipment in a lot easier for me. YMMV. Check the door and hinge contruction, that's a weak point for a lot of these and probably where the wooden ones have an advantage.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I would worry about the plastic cracking on very cold days.

And creeping on hot days.

I would ask around locally.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Haven't had that happen and mine's been up for at least 5 years in

115+ degree weather and -30. Neither for weeks on end, but it does get sunshine regularly. Other than the skylight going amber, no chalking or cracking. No guarantees for any other make, though.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Also from UV degradation which makes some plastics brittle.

Reply to
Denis G.