ball bearing off-center load question

I am trying to design a very cheap linear system. It's for a manually driven 13" long household device. It consists of two parallel 5/16 rods and a slide with preloaded rollers.

For rollers I use metal patio door rollers:

works fine but makes the device too expensive.

I am thinking about using a pair of small plain ballbearings on the same axel with the spacer between them instead of a each single door roller. The ball bearings will roll on the side of the rod since the spacer will be shorter than rod diameter.

It would be much cheaper. But I am concern about off-center load.

Is this design OK?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wrote in news:KhYRa.70$K43.4355189 @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

In a nutshell, no. A roller bearing is designed to take a radial load, not a thrust load, which is what you would create with this arraingement. A pre-loaded angular contact bearing would be suitable, but, the cost will be more. Check with INA for a roller just like what you pictured. Probably MUCH cheaper direct from the manufacturers distributor. Call your nearest Motion Industries.

Reply to
Anthony