rod with ball bearing on end

I have a need for something, and I don't know what it is called. It is a steel rod with a single ball bearing in the end of it. It is desinged to press against something and
the ball bearing allows what it is pressing against to spin. Google is worthless if you don't know what something is called. Also, where to get?
Thanksinadvance, Joe

I have seen such things like that as transfer rods in diesel engines.

Sounds pretty close to an auto engine push rod...
Rod ends or "Rose Joints" (brand name)? www.fkrodends.com/commerical/cmcf.html

Something like these people do http://www.alwayse.co.uk /
snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote:

Those contraptions have been suggested as the means of propulsion for some Beings that were described in the Bible. I would be way over my head if I tried to point to the event, book or chapter. I became aware of the theory too long ago for those neurons to fire now.
However; a sphere that is embedded with a powerful bar magnet and said sphere was encased within a matrix of powerful and switchable electro-magnets could induce motivation.
Traction's another issue.... (sorry for being ot)

theory
Will this 'induced motivation' be a suitable substitute for my afternoon coffee?
Larry www.WeldingFaq.com 'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'
If it was hollow tubing with a ball bearing in the end, you could fill it will paste ink and call it a ball point pen.
Scott

snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote:

"Ball and Socket" joint?
http://www.sternhaar.de/582.jpg
http://img.thefreedictionary.com/dict/105/275626-ball-and-socket-joint.gif
You're welcome, in retrospect. :)
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Also log to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for "Ball Vises"
Hey, you didn't mention a cost limit!
Rumor has it that you can "Spot anneal" a circle on a large ball bearing using friction, then drill and tap to form a threaded ball.
If you want to play in the big leagues, use a trailer hitch ball.
YW --Winston

Sounds very much like the sort of set up used in a motorcycle clutch push rod..............might be able to use one if dimensions anywhere near!
If you are talking about a rod that has the ball at each end and is as hollowed out for oil to pursue a path, that my friend is called a lifter rod. They come in all sizes depending on the engine that it is driving. You can pick them up singly new or used at all auto suply shops or auto wreckers.

I think he may be looking for a tool where a ball actually rolls , automotive type "pushrods" come in a few flavor , some has a solid ball on the end (does not roll but rod rotates around) and the better ones has a roller (needle) bearing on top (rod , does not rotate) either one needs constant lubrication to stay alive.
I think the one he is looking for is ore like the use in factories where the roll sheets of metal, wood , glass. A table with a bunch of rollers in it.
I gues the application he needs would have a rod , with a ball at the end to apply pressure to something that moves ?
notwithstanding all the other *strange* responses, what I think you're looking for is called a 'thrust bearing' do a google search on that.
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote in message

Question what is the application of this rod with ball bearing end?
Automotive, load bearing support, power transfer, ect.

May also be known as a "Tie Rod"?