rod with ball bearing on end

I have a need for something, and I don't know what it is called. It is a steel rod with a single ball bearing in the end of it. It is desinged to press against something and the ball bearing allows what it is pressing against to spin. Google is worthless if you don't know what something is called. Also, where to get?

Thanksinadvance, Joe

Reply to
joe

I have seen such things like that as transfer rods in diesel engines.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Sounds pretty close to an auto engine push rod...

Reply to
Rick

Rod ends or "Rose Joints" (brand name)?

PR

Reply to
David Billington

If it was hollow tubing with a ball bearing in the end, you could fill it will paste ink and call it a ball point pen.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Those contraptions have been suggested as the means of propulsion for some Beings that were described in the Bible. I would be way over my head if I tried to point to the event, book or chapter. I became aware of the theory too long ago for those neurons to fire now.

However; a sphere that is embedded with a powerful bar magnet and said sphere was encased within a matrix of powerful and switchable electro-magnets could induce motivation.

Reply to
Tom Zachman

Will this 'induced motivation' be a suitable substitute for my afternoon coffee?

Larry

'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Reply to
Larry

"Ball and Socket" joint?

You're welcome, in retrospect. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Also log to

and search for "Ball Vises"

Hey, you didn't mention a cost limit!

Rumor has it that you can "Spot anneal" a circle on a large ball bearing using friction, then drill and tap to form a threaded ball.

If you want to play in the big leagues, use a trailer hitch ball.

YW --Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sounds very much like the sort of set up used in a motorcycle clutch push rod..............might be able to use one if dimensions anywhere near!

Reply to
Ron

If you are talking about a rod that has the ball at each end and is as hollowed out for oil to pursue a path, that my friend is called a lifter rod. They come in all sizes depending on the engine that it is driving. You can pick them up singly new or used at all auto suply shops or auto wreckers.

Reply to
Thomas

I think he may be looking for a tool where a ball actually rolls , automotive type "pushrods" come in a few flavor , some has a solid ball on the end (does not roll but rod rotates around) and the better ones has a roller (needle) bearing on top (rod , does not rotate) either one needs constant lubrication to stay alive.

I think the one he is looking for is ore like the use in factories where the roll sheets of metal, wood , glass. A table with a bunch of rollers in it.

I gues the application he needs would have a rod , with a ball at the end to apply pressure to something that moves ?

Reply to
acrobat-ants

notwithstanding all the other *strange* responses, what I think you're looking for is called a 'thrust bearing' do a google search on that.

Tom

Reply to
surftom

Question what is the application of this rod with ball bearing end?

Automotive, load bearing support, power transfer, ect.

Reply to
Lance

May also be known as a "Tie Rod"?

Reply to