ball launcher

The dog would play fetch all day if us humans didn't get tired of throwing it.

I want to build an automatic thrower. Train the dog to drop the ball in a 'hopper', the machine waits 10 seconds, beeps, and throws the ball.

I am looking for ideas on the mechanical throwing mechanism.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

look at tennis ball machines. Most use air...

Reply to
Emmo

Thebaseball throwers use two motor driven wheels about the size of wheelbarrow wheels the wheels run all the time, the ball rolls down little ramp into the gap between the wheels and whoosh!! away it goes..

Reply to
jerry wass

Just found this site, lots of documentation and photos.

.

You may find the dog getting bored with a mechanical play-toy instead of a human.

But do let us know how it turns out.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Obvious solution would be to then load the launcher with cats

WB .............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Fetch the stick Fido!

Artemia Salina

I'll contribute a couple black and white shitty-cats that the neighbour sends over to do their business under the overhang where grass won't grow and the ground doesn't freeze all winter. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:12:47 -0400, the inscrutable Artemia Salina spake:

I needs me wunna them to keep them Revenooers offen my land.

Thanks for posting that URL, Artemia. I'd been hunting for it for ages. Googling "cadillac 2x4 thrower" and a dozen other search phrases netted me absolutely nothing usable.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Despite the appearance that the dog wants the ball, it's the interaction with the thrower he's really asking for. He'll get bored with a machine in just a few throws.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I suspect that you are right.

And as for training the dog to drop the ball into a hopper -- Every time that I have thrown things, the dog makes me fight to get hold of it to throw again -- just more of the game. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You're welcome, Larry. I'm a big fan of Survival Research Labs; they make some of the most frightening machines-as-art that I've ever seen. I'm disappointed that they took the page detailing the Hand-o-God off-line. It's a huge spring-loaded hand made of steel I-beams that can flatten a compact car with one mighty swat. It really conveys the unforgiving nature of machinery. Nevertheless, I encourage readers to poke around on that site and check out some of the videos of the machines being tested. The "Pitching Machine" is shown being remotely aim-able and fire-able. They even claim that it can be operated via the internet! Imagine working in your shop with that machine in it somewhere and hearing the caddy motor start up on it's own! Hit the deck; hackers!

By the way, if you watch the TV show, Myth-Busters, the blond-haired woman, Scotty, is a former member of Survival Research Laboratories.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

My Bichon runs to the thrown item, barks twice then comes to me to ensure that I know where it landed so I can go pick it up and throw it again. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I have two Samoyeds (look like white huskies). Near as I can tell, retrieving is NOT in the pattern of northern breeds (huskies, mals etc.) They may bring it back the first time MAYBE even twice - the third time, they run to it, look at and wander off ... sort of a "if you can't hold on to it, I'm through bringing it back".

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:47:22 -0400, the inscrutable Artemia Salina spake:

I sent that URL to a friend in D.C. and he made a comment about folks who have too much time and money on their hands. What a spoilsport HE is. I accused him of jealousy, I did.

I'll send email telling them of the missing HOG.

I think that machine is larger than my (2-car) shop.

Sell rides to the rednecks! (One way, cash in advance, please.)

No, I don't watch any "reality" TV.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In the same spirit, I will contribute a noisy min-pin from the neighbor's backyard.

Reply to
Rex B