begineer welding book

can anyone recommend a welding book for the guy that knows nothing. I am looking to do a small wrought iron fence project.
i was planning on getting a Lincoln 110vt mig SP-135 plus as recommended by this group but I really want to find a good welding book so I can gain some knowledge.
can anyone recommend one?
There is a good one by Richard Finch, check out amazon. All welding books that I have read are somewhat light on details. Miller has excellent arc, mig and tig welding handbooks at millerwelds.com, free download.

Don Foreman wrote:

I rather like the $5 set of welding calculators Miller sells. They are the cardboard slide rule type of thing and there is one each for stick, TIG and MIG. Quite handy for finding a starting point for a particular task when you aren't a pro weldor.
Pete C.

Yes, I have them, they are great.
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:25:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

I just checked the website and they're $4 for the set! (Ordering now.) They look handy!
Note to Don Foreman: Downloadable PDF books & pamphlets are found in the Education section of their website at: http://www.millerwelds.com/education/bookspamphlets.html
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

I have a relatively old hobart welder, and somehow that business passed on Miller. They were fantastic at finding manuals for it and the control panel. I was highly impressed. There is a reason why used Miller equipment costs a lot of money.

There's some good basic stuff there, but the $25 MIG book is much more comprehensive. Well worth the price.
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:58:51 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, "Don

OK.
--
REBOOT AMERICA!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Modern Welding is good for a beginner. it has a lot of theory, and it goes into the physical act of welding more than other books I've seen. In other words, it does a better job of telling you how to hold a torch, and what motions to make with your hands. Very useful for starting out...
Another great resource is to check out the sci.engr.joining.welding group. Google's groups archive (groups.google.com) is your friend.
If you can, take a class. It'll pay for itself just in terms of materials--I went through way materials in my class than the price of admission. Plus, you get hand-on instruction.