belt sander tape?

I want to make some belts for my 1" belt sander. Anyone know what kind of tape is used to join the ends of the belt together and where to get some?

Reply to
Mouse

Mouse fired this volley in news:k1p3s7$ec0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Did you even look?

Here's one hit of dozens I got just by searching on "abrasive belt butt splicing tape"

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Mouse fired this volley in news:k1p3s7$ec0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Duh...

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

No I didn't but should have. Thanks for the information anyway.

Reply to
Mouse

Look at the various product datasheets linked to from there.

There's a problem for home-use w/ the for-purpose splicing tape systems--they are two-part heat/pressure glues and the tapes are shipped in dry ice and must be kept at -20F for even a short life.

It's just basically impractical to try to duplicate in home shop.

I've seen some discussions that some folks have had moderate success w/ the tyvek-paper (like from postal envelopes) and various epoxies but none seem to me worth the hassle when Klingspor can ship whatever you need on demand already made up...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
kfvorwerk

SNIP

net. I use any cloth on hand as the tape. I have a problem with the top edge snagging so my future belts are going to be overlapped a bit and be directional. They're one inch. There's nothing wrong with buying them but I have several hundred feet of 1 inch abrasive. I can be up and running again in 5 min if I use the super glue.

Hey Karl,

How about a short lesson on how you do that with the super-glue and cloth.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

For an improvised splice, I've rubbed away the abrasive at both ends (with a small sharpening stone or other material/tool), then used superglue and overlapped the backing material bare ends, clamping the splice for a while.

The splice should be angled to the direction of travel and the overlap doesn't need to be huge.. maybe 1/4" for each end. Since the grit has been removed from both overlapping ends, the splice doesn't produce a significant thump as it passes under the workpiece.

This has worked for both woven/cloth and heavy paper-backed abrasives. Other adhesives may also work well.

Reply to
Wild_Bill