Flex seal durability?

Has anyone successfully used Flex Seal paste to make replacements for worn rubber parts?

Yesterday I rebuilt an air-powered 1/2" x 12" belt sander whose rubber rollers had disintegrated. The larger drive roller is now a short piece of heater hose on a lathe-turned spindle, crowned with a file, and the smaller knurled brass end roller was reshod with friction tape which is probably not a durable solution but is easily redone.

I used Flex Tape to build up the sole of a comfortable old boot and it held up very well, better than the original dense foam sole, and wasn't any more slippery on ice.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Amazon reviews on these products are all over the place. The not-so-good reviews mention failures in line with my experience using similar products...

I've had the best luck with Goop type glue (also Shoe Goo) for repairing shoe soles and such. Usually use it to hold down a rubber patch over the worn area. It's a bit too soft to last very long on its own. I've wanted to try Barge:

for a long time now but always balk at the price. It's what a lot of shoe repair shops use...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'd not heard of Flex seal but I know someone that successfully used Sugru to repair an odd sized damaged cup seal in a Chinese made hydraulic floor jack, the Sugru was used to build up the missing section of the original seal.

Reply to
David Billington

I've had the best luck with Goop type glue (also Shoe Goo) for repairing shoe soles and such. Usually use it to hold down a rubber patch over the worn area. It's a bit too soft to last very long on its own. I've wanted to try Barge:

for a long time now but always balk at the price. It's what a lot of shoe repair shops use...

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
<snip>

Thanks, I'll probably just stick with Goop type stuff then. I can often find that locally on sale or clearance priced. I try to make a judgment call whether a repair makes sense or not. Price of glue to maybe fix shoe or just bite it and replace them :)

The utter crap soles they put on shoes nowadays is terrible. Maybe an 1/8 - 3/16 inch and then a hollow framework to support it. Once you wear through that 1/8 inch it's a straight shot in to the insole. So if the road is wet your feet will soon be wet too :(

I noticed in the Amazon comments for the Flex Seal Paste that it dries out rather quick. A lot of complaints that it was already dry and funky when received. Others mentioned it dried out fast after opening...

Reply to
Leon Fisk