bearing seal

I got to the bottom of my CNC mill trouble...

I need an extremely odd size bearing seal. No way will anyone halfway close to me has this. What's you favorite online specialty bearing place?

The particulars. bearing seal OD 2.687" (caliper on bent seal - may be off a bit) rotating shaft size 1.567" (mike)

seal height (caliper on bent again) 0.375"

Numbers on seal ? 26915638 R4 (can't make out first character)

My problem, the mill leaks oil like crazy and slings all over the shop. Somebody has been there before me and put some sort of sealant on the seal's OD to the AL housing. I think this is where the leak is, the rubber looks great. Anyone ever used a sealant on a seal?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Both Harwal and Chicago Rawhide (SKF) show candidates:

Ned Simmons

On my old truck axle lube was leaking onto the brake shoes, the seals were good, but there was a gouge in the housing that was letting lube past the outside of the seal. A bit of red Permatex RTV solved the problem.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks Ned and Pete. Part is on order and I'll pick up the permatex at the local auto parts store.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Oh, yeah. I used Elephant Snot (3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive), various types of RTV, pure silicone sealant, etc. on the outside of engine seals all the time, when I wrenched. Clean the mating parts well with the proper solvent, goop 'em up (usually the corner of the seal/flange OD) and tap 'em in. To make it work properly, all the oil has to be removed from that junction. I've seen people goop the seals but not wipe the drip of oil off the mating surface, and the new seal kept up the leak.

Match the sealant to the max temperature and the type of lubricant involved for the best results.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Where do you keep the Elephant?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep, I knew about the oil thing, Brake clean is my friend.

I bet the spindle bearings sees 200F when running at 4K rpm. What's you're favorite goop at this temp.?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

In the medicine cabinet, of course.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In the bottle of course!

After work..he can often be found in the Elephant Bar.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You must take a LOT of drugs!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is that anywhere close to the Grisly Bar?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Doesn't everyone?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You need the Red RTV used to seal in fiberglass ropes to seal wood stoves.

I found them in hardware stores in Ca. It is high temp.

Another source is the auto stores (one guesses) - new Heads require the gasket to be sealed down with an RTV. My Vortec engine on my Chevy Truck uses it.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 20 Jul 2013

11:50:20 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I try, but I can't seem to keep one in the Refrigerator.

Maybe if I made a Peanut butter Pizza, it'd stay.

pyotr filipivich

kiddy corner down the street.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Didn't elephant jokes go out in the sixties?

Reply to
Steve Walker

I won't be sixty until the week after next.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Too many, for too many health issues. A literal handful at bedtime, It's hard to hold them all in one hand to swallow them. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Aren't you afraid the kiddies will hurt the grisly? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course not! They prefer 100 degree days. Do you have any idea how hard it is to de-ice their trunks?

Not for long, and they would go on a killing rampage after the peanut butter got stuck to the roof of their mouth.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell