Bending wire

Seeking good advice, opinions, anecdotes or full-on rants about forming an eye, about 1/4 inch inner diameter, at the end of some 3/16" stainless wire.

I'm guessing some sort of simple jig should do it, but fooling around with some nails hammered into a piece of wood succeeded only in convincing me that I'm fairly thick.

Reply to
Ted Bennett

Do you want to do this on a production basis, or just once/twice?

The minimum cold bend radius for most materials is beyond 1T. I'm sure it's more for most stainless alloys. Do you have a torch? Does it matter if the material's properties change due to the bending (they'll change one way or another anyway).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

If you really need to use those sizes, you need to hot form it. I would even consider tig welding a ring on the end of the wire, if that would suit your purposes.

On problem with working with stainless steel is that it work hardens. If it's in wire form, it has been drawn, and is already in a work hardened state. I can be annealed, but by bending it, it work hardens again.

Reply to
Wayne Bengtsson