Winding Wire ?

I am building some decorative iron pieces. I want to use some heavy wire, like 1/8" and bigger to wrap some of the connections where metal touches on metal rather than welding it. Or just to cover up welds. I have used some decorative scrolls that have connectors crimped where the two parts of the scrolls touch, but find that a wire wrapping looks a lot better.

Questions:

Do I heat the wire as I bend it around the pieces?

Would a propane torch be sufficient to do this rather than an OA torch?

Should I hammer it with a rubber or rawhide hammer as I go?

How do I anchor the beginning and end of the wire so that they don't unlay?

Is there a way to apply something like solder to keep it from unlaying that would flow to the inside of the coil and not be so visible on the outside? Maybe spot the beginning and end of the wire?

How would you do it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

When I wire wrap over a weld I use dead soft copper wire. Much easier to work with and looks good too.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hey Steve,

Have you considered purchasing/using coiled springs wound on instead?

1/8" wire might be a bit big to work with that way though, but smaller isn't bad. And springs come in a variety of metals too.

Take care.

Brian Laws>I am building some decorative iron pieces. I want to use some heavy wire,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

You definitely need to anchor the beginning and end if you're using steel wire. The "spring back" after winding will leave it loose otherwise. Just a tiny tack with the MIG would do. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Can you find iron, rather than steel ? You'll have much less trouble with springback. Even austenitic stainless can be worth it.

Yes - gives a closer wrap.

Yes - thin wire is easy to heat, and you barely need it glowing

No, you want to put the bend into the corner, not squash it where the hammer lands. Bend it by pulling on the free end - maybe a little work with a copper mallet if you have to, but go easy.

Tack weld if you can, but a reverse bend can often fasten itself well enough round another piece. You can also leave both ends long and trim afterwards.

Shouldn't need it.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley