Best way to cut metal

But might you be able to hide it from the credit card company? ;)

Mongke Happy New Year

Reply to
mongke

Hi, all,

Given the choice between a carbide chop saw and a horizontal band saw of roughly the same price ($450), what would be your choice for general, all-around, home workshop use? Which is more versatile? I was set on buying the chop saw until some other guys went on and on about their horizontal bandsaws.

What are the advantages of either? My wife is unlikely to "allow" me to get both... Unless I hide one.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

My personal choice would be the band saw. In general, it would likely be far more useful, especially if you find yourself needing to do any contour type sawing and you have a little table that allows your horizontal saw to be used as a vertical band saw. The Wells A7 saw (which I have owned since the late 60's) is capable of being used that way and has been most useful.

I think what would help you make your decision is how you would use the saw. Your circumstances may very well be different from mine.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Consider the cost of the consumables - the carbide chop saw blade is fairly pricey. Both will do the job. The bandsaw would be more controllable for gang cutting.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

the chop saw is more suited to fabrication and such fast relatively square cut cutting hollow square and round tube fast and dirty building /welding trailers and so forth solid pieces are different in that they consume the wheel quickly and a band saw is more economical if not sometimes slower my vote is for the bandsaw which can be used for all mike

Reply to
mike holmquist

Another thing, which I don't think has been mentioned: if you have to cut a heavy cross-section, you can set up the band saw, leave it running, and go do something else. If you have to make several such cuts, this can save you a LOT of time.

I have actually not used a chop saw, but when I picture feeding a blade slowly, by hand, through a large piece of steel, taking care not to crowd it, I think I would be unhappy.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I think I'm already unhappy enough with a hacksaw. :-P Waiting on seeing how Roy's saw comes out, and a welding class next year...

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

What I would do is get both! Well, I would fudge a little on the chop saw and get a used Skil worm drive saw and a dry-cut blade (e.g., Tenyru). Say $125 for both. Then a cheaper bandsaw. A lot of people are satisfied with their $150 HF 4 x 7's. Those two would be $275, leaving $175 for other goodies.

But then, I like a frugal approach - YMMV.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

How about a power hacksaw?

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Wow. I just checked out that link. Neat! Have you built one of these?

I wonder if I could just make a bracket for my Sawzall...

Reply to
Chris