"Liquid Lens" fluid (ad on TV) does it work?

just wondering if anyone here has tried this stuff and if you like it(?). they show a fairly non-typical scenario of scratching a lense w/240 grit paper and then using the fluid.

i wonder how it would work on typical scratches and how long it lasts. does it attract/repel dirt? thanks! --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Try scratching a piece of dry glass and then wetting it with ordinary water. The scratches seem to disappear. That's all the commercial is showing.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

I would think if the repair was so good and lasted any amaount of time you would see more eyeglass places advertsing scratch removal in addition to making glasses. There is more to removing scratches from plastic or glasss than merely wiping on a fluid (at least in this present stage of time). We used to work our butts off polishing out scratches on aircraft transparencys with some really ultra fine abrasive media that felt more like silk than abrasive, and it was tough, and usually when you did get it looking good, you always wound up with some distortion in the repaired area. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

It is just a microcrystalline wax. Regular johnson floor wax works. I got one of the little pocket sized scratc removal applicators at the optetrician I got my last pair of glasses from.

It does work, but it doesn't last that long. Floor wax lasts a bit longer.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Roy wrote: (clip) We used to work our butts off polishing out scratches on aircraft transparencys with some really ultra fine abrasive media that felt more like silk than abrasive, and it was tough, and usually when you did get it looking good, you always wound up with some distortion in the repaired area (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ When you polish out the scratches, using successively finer abrasives, yoiu are removing material. If it's a lens, you will change the curvature. If it's a window, you will introduce curvature.

I don't know the product in question, but I do know that low-cost mobile windshield repair is done by filling the cracks with a resin which has the same index of refraction as the glass. If you could fill the scratches in a lens with this same material, and get it exactly level with the glass, it ought to work

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

you could try it on an old pair of sun glasses, and use just water. and on tv the water on the glass makes it look new... i once worked for a local tv station... the guy in charge of making scenes for the station, took some cheap pine 1/8 in plywood and made a news room set.. stained it up with a wood stain and then make up some cardboard boxes with paint on them and glitter sprinkled on it, pasted some more squared on the boxes(when he was finished with that and putting the lights on it.. the desk/chairs looked like real wood furniture in a high priced lawyers office, the boxes looked like high rise buildings that you would see looking out of a penthouse in N.Y. it was all junk, but on TV it looked real nice.. camerea.................. did you know that moisture hanging on a leaf i the forest can cause a forest fire just like the magnifing lens that a kid can use to start a fire(the water on the len flows to the shape of the lense and fills in the scratches)... i would not believe that you can use it to restore glasses..... reminds me of the other junk i bought advertised on TV in the past....

Reply to
jim

Not exactly. Water would bead on a lens due to its surface tension. If you added a surfactant( like soap) to break the surface tension, it would leave a film.

What they're showing is a polymer that fills the scratches with a fluid that hardens to a refractive index similar to polycarbonate lenses which are what is predominantly used in todays glasses, not GLASS, unless you buy that type of lens. Still, the polymer would work to a point. Nothing is a perfect solution. In time it would probably have to be reapplied.

Chemistry folks.

Reply to
Jim Polaski

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:19:46 GMT, Jim Polaski brought forth from the murky depths:

No, Lexan (polycarbonate) is 2x the cost of standard (hard resin) plastic lenses so the high-index is the usual material, not Lexan.

I found that regular old Rain-X works well to fill small pits and scratches in my windshield so I tried it on my safety goggles with some success. It filled in some of the scuffing which improved vision through them, but they were too old and abused to be used daily. They're perfect for backups and bystanders, though.

Economics, folks. ;)

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

Reminds me of food photography.

Images of food that can make you hungry after Thanksgiving dinner. Eating it would make you sick or kill you. Could chip a tooth on the lacquer.

Reply to
Mark

And anyone who gets a polycarb lens without the quartz coating is wasting their money.

My quartz-filmed polycarb lenses are incredibly resistant to scratching -- far more so than my old glass lenses were. The onlty marks on the lenses I'm wearing now (after about 8 years of constant use) are the nicks and pock-marks produced by chips that have flown out of the lathe or from the grinder when I've been working.

Yes, I use these glases as safety glasses -- which is why I stick with the incredibly unfashionable large frame and lenses that drive my wife crazy. A do use a full-face shield when doing the really dangerous stuff though.

-- you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson

But have you ever been screwed by this when having a windshield replaced? Looks great for about two months, then you discover that you got a coated salvaged windshield; a real rip off. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

This works nicely.

Take some glycerine soap... the kind you can see through. Rub the bar on your clean lens... just make a letter "O". Polish it in with a clean cotton cloth. Scratches gone... not forever, but certainly for the day. Repeat the next morning.

Spencer

The liquid lens commercial is full of crap, look at the rim around the lenses, its powder they put on there and then wipped it away with a dab of water and cotton.

Reply to
aran002