Big propane tank

Picked this up in someone's garbage. The guy told me that the tank did not have any problems, though it is old.

My question is, do I have any chance of filling it and if so, where. At a welding supply? It has a small (relatively) female threaded opening. Approx. 5 feet tall.

Ignoramus27711

Ignoramus27711

That's a standard 100 lb. LP bottle. You exchange and old for a full one at any LP distributor

Or, take the valve off. Now you got a nice air tank with a nice 3/4 NPT fitting. But it will stink for months.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Looks like a hundred pounder.

Used to have one like that feeding my stove down in Carbondale.

If the hydro test is current you can probably have it filled at a Propane supplier like Amerigas. I know Wisco fills propane, but I don't know if they want to fill a 100#, and I don't know if you want to tote it that far.

It is also big enough that a supplier will send a truck out and fill it on site.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

"Karl Townsend" fired this volley in news:4c19719d$0$65828$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

No it won't, if you neutralize the mercaptans in it. Sodium hydroxide (lye) will neutralize mercaptans. Common bleach will do it too -- (calcium hypochlorite).

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I am sure that it is out of hydro. :-(

Come to th>

Reply to
Ignoramus27711

I've got one as the upright tank on my air compressor -Swished it with bleach IIRC. NO smell now.

Reply to
clare

That sounds like my 30 gallon unit and the screw in for the hose - remains as the old way - a high volume one. It Is CALLED INDUSTRIAL tank so if someone complains - it is in the specs for Industrial use.

I use it on my furnace and more importantly with my tall Oxy bottle doing Propane/oxy brazing.

Mart> Picked this up in someone's garbage. The guy told me that the tank did

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh! Me too. 80-gallon upright with a 5-HP intercooled two-stage head.

I didn't compromise the vessel. Did a drain via dip-tube, and used the existing ports for all penetrations.

I got lucky; mine was a dip-galvanized direct-burial tank. $40.00.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Maybe I should have taken all three instead of just one...

I was thinking of switching to oxypropane for cutting.

Ignoramus27711

Look for the stamp on the collar, Grasshoppa. These tanks, IIRC, are good for twelve years. You say a "small" female threaded opening. Can you tell the difference between a right and left hand thread? That may tell you if it is a propane/acetylene tank, or perhaps a medical oxygen. Take it to a filler, and they will tell you. I have had them exchange them reasonably, and give me a decent price on a testing in the $20 range for that big a tank. It don't cost nothing to ask. You either have a deal or a nice boat bouy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

never ass-u-me

be sure

Steve

Visit my site at

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

Reply to
SteveB

Did that, and still kept my acetylene bottle. There's a big difference, and it does take some adjustments and learning curve. Maybe I'm old school, but I like acet better. The cost is another matter, but I don't cut a lot. Still thinking of going plasma which could make the whole point moot. Duh, acet, propane, plasma. How many ways does a guy need to cut metal?

Well, more than one, because there are many types of metal to be cut, and there are some processes that work better on one type than another. You're just moving to another station on the food chain.

Steve

Visit my site at

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

Reply to
SteveB

I am top posting this for everyone's convenience. I forgot to put my sig line in, so will do so here. My book is finished, and as soon as I isbn it, it will be available. Not to worry, I'll remember you all should I become rich and famous.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

Steve

Visit my site at

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

Reply to
SteveB

I use a thirty pound tank on my little compressor, mounted upside down so the opening is at the bottom with concentric inlet and outlet through a 3/4" Tee with the outlet tube extended up into the centre of the tank. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

With one or three, you are getting pretty well set to do some metal casting. Just need find room for some fire brick, and the other accessories. Make use of your scrap aluminum and brass.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

I keep hearing about propylene for a cutting gas.

What are the pluses and minuses of it?

Cost is supposed to be cheaper than acet.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The plus is cost. The minus is its not as hot as acetylene. Scrap yards that torch all day long use propane. I tried it, preheat takes way longer and its a bit harder to not lose your oxy-red hot heat if you feed too fast. Then you have to reheat to restart.

Long story short, my cuts weren't as clean so I switched back.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That's what I had in mind actually, a bigger forge or a foundry. I will see if I will actually do it, but the tank was free.

Ignoramus24975

Wish you were a bit closer. I have two empty tanks that have not bee used for years. Someday will give them to a scrap collector.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer