big tank stand

I've been asked to build a tank stand, to support a water tank with diameter of 10 feet, and weighing 15 tons when full. It'll be about 10 feet high. I can engage a structural engineer to do the calcs, but am wondering if there's any online resource with proven designs for such a stand. There must be several in existence on farms, etc?

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

c.henry

Nothing to be taken too easy!

You should! Or you are responsible if the construction fails.

Things worth thinking about:

  • wind load? What size has the tank, what wind-speeds are common in this area. And what's the ca of the tank.
  • How hoes the tank look like and how to avoid that the feet punch through the tank?
  • how to base the feet in the ground?

And and and. These answers will give you an engineer. And not for free in an news-group.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I run into this kind of thing all the time. People want to hire a fabricator to do design. I'd tell them you won't bid the job unless you get a blueprint which is signed off by a licensed P.E. (professional engineer). Else if it fails you are liable. Even if you build it to their print, you will still get sued if you fail, but your lawyer will point out that you simply built it as designed and produce the signed print and you will be most likely released from the lawsuit.

Unless you have real good insurance, that is, then just overbuild the shit out of it.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Besides a stand, you will also need a foundation that is appropriate for your climate and soil condition. I would not do the work unless it is designed by a properly licensed and insured person.

Ignoramus19471

"Nick Mueller" wrote: (clip) These answers will give you an engineer. And not for free in an news-group. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are right, Nick. But, in his favor, let me point out that Jordan did not ask us for the design. He asked whether there are available designs.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

--Have a look at the way water tanks are supported for topping off old steam locomotives: there are maybe two dozen monster upright beams with cross bracing up the wazoo: not trivial.

Reply to
steamer

Thanks fellas - I get the message!

Reply to
Jordan

Or maybe you don't. Don't let the smartass drive you off. In spite of the fact there is no way to stop the idots from ranting, there is a lot of worthwile experience to draw on here.

I don't know what they are called in the US, but there are or were several government funded organisations that dealt with plans for stuff like this for use as storage for livestock water and houshold water.

One such organisation is Canada Plans Service

The plans should be vetted by someone familiar with local codes (peferably in a professional aspect, like a building inspector or an engineer) in order to meet the legal requirements of your area.

I know that there are a couple outfits in the US that do similar work, and it is available from the various state and federal agencies that publish it. Much is public domain, and usually only costs for printing and mailing, and is free of copyright, as it was paid for by the public.

Sadly, I cannot name any of the organisations in the states. Maybe someone else here can put you onto them.

For water tanks like you are looking for, I would be checking out the state organisations of the desert and semi desert states like Arizona, Texas, maybe California, etc.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

The stand is not the only variable. The engineer you hire should be tasked to design and specify a safe structure compliant with applicable codes. That will include more than the metal stand.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks heaps Trevor. That link is a goldmine of info for anyone who needs it.

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

Many buildings in NYC have large water tanks on stands located on the roofs,

I have a photo of one in lower Manhattan I shot while walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.. I'd bet that would be a good place to search for information or plans..

ED

Reply to
ED

Welcome!

I know that there are agencies out there of similar vein, just gotta find them.

The CPS plans are quite a goldmine of ideas!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

--Hey the one thing you haven't mentioned is how high off the ground the stand has to be. Is it inches or feet? ;-)

Reply to
steamer

--Silly me; misread the posting. So you want the bottom of the tank to be 10ft off the ground. One thing you should know is that plastic tanks are available in this size and I expect that the folks who sell the tanks might have drawings available for pre-engineered perches of various heights and probably pre-approved for your county. Might as well ask 'em anyway..

Reply to
steamer

Thanks, that's a good point. The client and I have had a rethink, now that we're convinced it's not a trivial exercise. Plan now is to have 2 tanks - a small elevated one, and a bulk storage one at ground level. Water to be pumped up to high tank in batches. Not the ideal she wanted but workable and affordable.

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan