Binary "deathstar" to shine gamma rays on Earth and devastate life?

Binary 'deathstar' has Earth in its sights Tuesday, 4 March 2008 by John Pickrell Cosmos Online Binary 'deathstar' has Earth in its sights Destroyer of worlds: Astronomers overlaid 11 time lapse images of the rotating star system WR 104 to reveal a 30 billion-kilometre-long tail that billows out in a spiral around it. Image: University of Sydney

Related articles

  • Antique star-gazing technology reveals new wonders * Cosmic explosion from nowhere * Cosmic explosion is shot in the dark * Star's dramatic explosion witnessed for the first time * Massive explosion is brightest-ever supernova

SYDNEY: A spectacular, rotating binary star system is a ticking time bomb, ready to throw out a searing beam of high-energy gamma rays and Earth may be right in the line of fire.

Astronomers at the University of Sydney, in Australia, first discovered the unusual and beguilingly beautiful star system eight years ago in the Constellation Sagittarius. One member of the pair is a highly unstable star known as a Wolf-Rayet, thought to be the final stage of stellar evolution to precede a cataclysmic supernova explosion.

"When it finally explodes as a supernova, it could emit an intense beam of gamma rays coming our way", said Peter Tuthill, lead researcher of the team who report their findings in the current Astrophysical Journal.

Vast and glowing plume

At a distance of 8,000 light years from Earth, the pair of stars are a short hop away in galactic terms, and just one quarter of the way to the centre of our Milky Way galaxy.

The researchers took images of the system, known as WR 104, over a period of eight years using Hawaii's Keck Telescope. These images reveal a vast and glowing plume of heated dust and gas, billowing out in a spiral as the stars rotate once every eight months. This 'tail' is up to 30 billion kilometres long.

But something curious about the images caught the attention of the experts.

"Viewed from Earth, the rotating tail appears to be laid out on the sky in an almost perfect spiral. It could only appear like that if we are looking nearly exactly down on the axis of the binary system," said Tuthill.

This means we are peering down the barrel of the gun, as when binary supernovae go off, all their energy is focussed into a narrow beam of wildly destructive gamma ray radiation that emanates (both up and down) from the poles of the system.

"If such a gamma-ray burst happens, we really do not want Earth to be in the way," he said. "I used to appreciate this spiral just for its beautiful form, but now I can't help a twinge of feeling that it is uncannily like looking down a rifle barrel."

Sterilising effect

Though the risk may be remote, there is evidence that gamma ray bursts have swept over the planet at various points in Earth's history with a devastating effect on life.

A 2005 study showed that a gamma-ray burst originating within 6,500 light years of Earth could be enough to strip away the ozone layer and cause a mass extinction. Researchers led by Adrian Melott at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, U.S., suggest that such an event may have been responsible for a mass extinction 443 million years ago, in the late Ordovician period, which wiped out 60 per cent of life and cooled the planet.

Further research would be required to determine if we are exactly in line with the axis of the system but even if we are, we probably still have hundreds of thousands of years to come up with a solution, said Tuthill.

Reply to
Ignoramus30307

Are you sure someone didn't leak a plot for this show?

is the supernova expert, she will save us.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Is this another one of those extinction events that took a millenium to happen?

Reply to
Terryc

And another 8000 years to get here...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Thank Gawd for that - means I might have enough time to get to basic competence in machining before it gets here....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
vk3bfa

Of course it MIGHT have gone off 8000 years ago and the light will be here in the morning...

Machine fast!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Andrew,

Start working on that reflector. Be quick now.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Optimism is good =)

Reply to
Jon

--Well no; it could be tomrrow; i.e. it may have already happened but the burst hasn't reached us just yet. The good news is that the downside risk is we all get to live in caves for a few years. The food chain will be severely disrupted but there are those seed stashes that have been in the news, heh.

Reply to
steamer

Great post, but at 8000 light years away, nothing much to worry about. OTOH, if a star in the Alpha Centauri system or even a star within 100 light years goes nova on us, we'd best develop near light speed ships real fast...pack up the ark and get out of town.

Of course, just a huge solar flare could do serious damage in what is it? 8 minutes?

T. Davis

Reply to
T.L. Davis

Well, if it exploded 7,999 years ago, then the explosion will reach us next year.

We still will not get much warning.

Ignoramus12775

That's what the dinosaurs said.

Even deep caves are transparent to some high energy particles - they are not even slowed by something as insignificant as a planet. And let's not even think about how many caves there are and how many people. Are you good at fast digging? Politicians get first dives of course.

If the ecosystem is significantly changed, it's problematical if it ever returns to what the animal called Man is used to.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

There have been a number of writers over the last two centuries that speculated on large but rare and random events effecting life mutation directly and life shaping by climate. Perhaps this is the long suspected mechanism.

A millennium is a trivial time period when you are talking evolution and astronomical or even planetary history.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

That is the problem - we see in our time, not their time.

It is like a tidal wave. California ''falls into the ocean'' (yea right) and hours later - 4 or 5 Hawaii gets hit by a massive wave. Ok - we can radio, maybe. But Science has mid ocean buoys and other links for early detection.

We don't have a weather buoy in all angles more than several thousand miles away - comm satellites - when they burn up or fuzz out - there isn't time to get the bad signal.

Remember some years ago - 15 or so - the Super Nova in the southern sky - Astronomers spotted it flash us. But by that time, very high energy particles were already past us buy the time the eye light came. They (scientists) went deep into a salt mine and discovered we were showered. The detectors there showed the earth was a chunk of swiss cheese.

So were we.

Martin

Mart> >> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Please, don't explain things like this to the dullards.

If they cannot see "at a glance" the issue with events from 8000 light years away, they are best left to fend for themselves in the great struggle.

Telling them about lightcones, timelike vs. spacelike events, causality....it will only confuse and enrage them, causing them to support Democraps.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

How much warning do you want? What percentage of the energy do you think will reach the earth from something 8000 light years away?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I am not sure how much warning we'll get, but the amount of "warning" does not depend on how far the star is. As far as I understand, supernova explosions do not give much warning and the process starts "suddenly". So the first notice would include both a bright light, as well as those dealy gamma rays.

The point that the article is making, is that the beam of gamma rays would be directed narrowly along its axis, so it will be more concentrated than a spherical distribution. For example, if the angle is 2 degrees, then density of gamma rays along its path will be approximately 10,000 times higher than in a even spherical distribution. So this 8,000 LY explosion, would be equivalent to a 80 LY "spherical" equivalent.

I need the warning to write the will!

Ignoramus24341

Which ones are those? Ice ages can happen in as little as a fraction of a century, galactic events are usually on the order of months (for megafauna) to years (for more protected families).

Or tomorrow (it could have happened 8000 years ago, and we won't know until the radiation, which is all gamma is, gets here).

Reply to
Dan

Thanks.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

We're going to have to check with Alex Jones on that one.

Reply to
hot-ham-and-cheese