BMW R90/6 carb bowl source?

Im missing the bowl on the left carby on my 1978 R90/6 Bing carby. Anyone know of a source for one? A net search is only turning up gaskets and so forth.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner, You might check out 'BMW Riders of America`- . The club magazine used to have a 'for sale` section with guys occaisionally 'parting out` old beemers. The BMW owners club did too, but the 'riders` group were more gearhead minded and are probably your best bet. MadDog - "R75/5 Forever!"

BTW, given your handle, and the forum you frequent : would you happen to know if the threads on a mexican '95` large ring mauser match the threads for a model 98?? ( Looking to rebarrel and old 7mm carbine. - Yes, I know about finish reaming to proper headspace - and pressure limitations, ...any other advice appreciated).

Reply to
MadDogR75

No..the Mexican is a "small ring" and the 98 is a Large Ring. Receiver diameter is different.

But there are many barrels out there for small rings. ER Shaw makes cheapies, Numrich Arms often have em in the white, etc.

Large Ring - Mauser's with a Large ring have a thread shank diameter of

1.10" With 12 threads per inch. Across the face of the receiver will measure 1 3/8 . You can also measure the trigger guard screw holes, From center hole to center of other hole should measure about 7 7/8 or 7.830.

Small Ring - Mausers with a Small ring have a thread shank diameter of .980" With 12 threads per inch. Across the face of the receiver will measure 1 1/4. You can also measure the trigger guard screw holes, From the center of the holes measure , it should measure about 7 5/8 or

7.625.

Large Rings Mauser 98, 48*, vz24,vz22 , Turks* , & Commercial Mausers etc..

Small Rings Models 93, 94,95,96 & Mexican etc...

48* Large Ring but with an intermediate action see actions. Turks * most are Threaded for the small ring barrel but have the standard length [ long ] action of a large ring Mauser 98.

What cartridge are you going to convert to? The 7 Mauser is one of my favorites, and works fine in the 45,000 lb range. So is 257 Roberts.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Hi Gunner,

an excellent source for second hand parts is:

Not exactly in your neighborhood but - they have it all. If it's not shown in their online shop - mail them for availability. Second option is to check the nearest BMW dealer - Bing carbs all have the same bowl. Should not too much magic to find a fitting one. Preferrably look for the

32mm carbs

A real good , more general source of info is

and .. what about ebay ? Have you looked there ? Usually some Bing carbs are offered there

regards Jan

"Gunner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Jan Homuth

I've been working on similar projects with an 1894 Brazilian carbine and an 1895 Chilean carbine. Good condition original 7mm small ring barrels are very hard to find. Midway and Brownells sell new small thread barrels in 7mm Mauser, but they have a sporter taper instead of the correct (and better) stepped contour.

The barrel stub threads of a '98 can be recut to small ring size on a lathe, it's fairly simple and the 12tpi isn't even metric. Unfortunately, the front barrel diameter is much smaller on '98 military barrels, so there will be a gap where the barrel leaves the hand guard and no material for the step the earlier front sight base butts against.

BTW, there are 98 Mausers with small receiver rings that use the larger barrel thread and large rings with small ring threads. The Turk Mausers are especially varied, so the actual size of the receiver ring is only a general guide.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

The Turks are only kinda 98's...

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Yes, I could start with a rifled blank, I'm just trying to make it less of a project than that. As far as blanks go, I work just a hop & a skip away from Krieger and I think I made a connection to some of their guys when I talked to them at the NRA show here this spring. Sometimes they have rejects that aren't QUITE to their standards but might be OK for a Mauser rebuild barrel...

The later actions are all 98, the Turks had a deal with Mauser that specified the number of rifles and pre '98 type fittings, but the actions were to be the latest design. This accounts for the wide variation in action details. Plus the Turks like to rebuild their Mausers and even rebuilt captured rifles to meet their needs. Ever see an "Enfauser"? That's a Turk rebuilt SMLE in 8mm and set up to take a Turk bayonet.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch