boring bar bit removal

hi, working on my first project with my newly restored antique seneca falls star lathe. trying to use a boring bar. i'd like to remove the bit to sharpen it and to extend it a little. i canna figger out how to loosen whatever it is that's holding it in place. it looks like the end unscrews but the bit itself is kinda keying the end cap in place. i can't turn the end cap because the bit is actually keying it in place. only thing i can think is there must be a special tool that extracts the end cap straight off with some kind of pincer action. stamped onto the bar is "No. OB 1/2" WILLIAMS SLEEVE BAR (J.H. WILLIAMS & CO. MADE IN U.S.A.)". i took photos and uploaded them to....

if anyone can help me with this.

b.w.

(i tried putting the bar in a vice and turning the "sleeve" with vice grips but it wouldn't go and i didn't want to FORCE it till i asked you guys if that's how it's supposed to come off.)

Reply to
William Wixon

Is there something that unscrews on the other end of the bar? Or maybe where the "business end" joins the body of the bar in the region at which the diameter appears to decrease in your photo #2. I have a couple similar older bars that unscrew there. It looks a little rusty, so give it a good soak in penetrating oil. And remember that the geometry of the thing is such that the leverage of the tool tightens the screw when it is in use.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

I've got one just like this. The thing on the end is a screw with a slot through it. The sleeve is supposed to turn freely on the bar. If it is rusted on, you've got a problem. That is a simple part, though, and might be easily made if you have to destroy the original. The screw should simply unscrew, standard right-hand threads and all. But, the sleeve needs to turn to allow the screw and bit to turn with it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There is a special wrench for that type of bar. It will fit the slots in the end of the sleeve.

John

Reply to
John

oops. well, that was embarrassingly easy. i don't want to use up my "please help me" coupons here. apologies for asking a question i should've been able to figure out on my own, thanks very much to Jerry, Bugs, Jon and John, 'specially Brian Lawson who sent me an exploded view pic. i posted Brian's pic to show anyone who may have been wondering the same thing as me but was too shy to ask :-) .

last night i gave it a good spraying w/ pb blaster and thanks to Brian this morning i confidently took it apart. i was kinda thinking probably the whole thing simply unscrewed but there was still a doubt if maybe it had a left or right hand thread (guess it should've been obvious though to someone who thought about it, it would be designed to tighten with use.) (but then again, that "bolt" part is surprisingly thin where the bit goes through it, maybe possible to break it clean off (?) if exerting a lot of torque on the "slotted" end exclusively, i mean, if there was a lot of rust/etc. on the threads.) (sure helps to be able to ask though. thanks!) (oh, and was able to sharpen and extend the bit and proceed with my small project to completion today, yay! thanks!) (pics tomorrow.)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon