Boring out hardened MT2 EM holder?

snip----

Very cool, Mike. That means the idea is manageable, and the purchased one is likely to have thicker walls, which was one of my concerns. Great solution.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I'd have been fired long ago if I did this for a living. It's mostly just a hobby for me, though some parts are made for work in an R&D environment.

The flycutter can be seen here, in the second picture down from the top:

It's got center holes on each end, so I suppose it could be turned between centers. Getting a dog leg on the flycutter end might be a problem given the radius on that end, so it might be better to hold it in a 4-jaw chuck. From an engineering standpoint, though, it seems that a 3/4" EM holder is simpler and at least as cheap a solution if machining time is considered. Then too, I'd also like to use (or at least try out) the Tree boring head and I'm not about to try turning it's 3/4" shank down to 1/2".

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Thanks - that's just what I did. They are out of stock, but this is has been a long-standing need so waiting a little longer is not an issue.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry