Brake Recommendations?

I am looking into a tool that will allow me to bend 6" X 24"(1/8" thick) mild steel lengthwise.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what I'd need, or possibly a website tutorial for this.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Unless you're setting up a shop with floorspace for a heavy, expensive machine, your best tool here would be a telephone and some cash.

When I have had need for one or a few pieces like this, I've jigged up flat stock with an open corner and welded the corner. Looks like a bend, works just fine.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That is a pretty hefty bend. How many of these do you need? What is the inner radius?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

This will let you figure the numbers on how much tonnage a vee die air bending will require.

Play with the vee die opening. Small vee's require more tonnage. The vee is going to be acute. A 90 degree die won't work due to spring back.

HTH,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Oops! I forgot to ask about that.

Ok, this would not be a sharp bend, but the curve on the *outside* would be the same as that of a 2inch ball(max.).

I'm assuming that the radius would be 1 inch and a tiny bit smaller since the metal would only be 1/8" thick.

Also, how much easier would 72 degrees be?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

What you now describe would be a piece of cake for a hossfeld type bender if it was 4" wide and bending in the small direction, 6" is too wide for the hossfeld, but you might copy the basic form in a purpose built bender, if you are bending the 24" way some form of press brake is about your best shot. Or cut a section out of a piece of 2" x 1/8" wall tubing and weld it to a pair of plates.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton