1/8" or smaller drill bits

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody knows a supplier? thanx

Reply to
P.J.Leon

Google aircraft drills for more choices

Reply to
BillM

Advantage Drill Bits will either have what you want or make it for you.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Jones

Just curious, but how fast do you plan on spinning it? That is going to be very whippy. You planning on some sort of intermediate guide bushings?

Google critical speed. Going to be even worse since you are pushing on it in order to drill.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I want to use these bits for reference drilling.Some times I have to run telco and network wiring between floors.I have 1/4"x18" wood bits but they leave a good size hole on the floor.As you see,wood is the material that I have to drill thru.I found a place that sells drill blanks that are even smaller than 1/8.

Reply to
P.J.Leon

On Mon, 05 May 2008 07:48:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, P.J.Leon quickly quoth:

In that case, try HF. I use these larger ones most often:

and just bought a set of these on sale @ $4:
I see they also have these 2 other sets:
?Itemnumber=33449

-- I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated. --Troy P, usenet

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
RoyJ

How about just brazing the bit you want onto a long enough shank? Low temp silver solder may even work for that. It's only wood, so even if you do temper the bit while brazing, so what.

I have had success in lathe-welding drill bits to shanks. albeit bigger than your 1/8" requirement. Lathe set at top speed New shank material sticking out of chuck/collet a little bit Drill bit chucked backwards in tailstock chuck Shank end of drill bit supported by steady rest, close to new shank sticking out of headstock chuck.

--Turn on lathe, force drill bit's shank into new long shank with tailstock ram. The junction heats up red, then white hot. Release headstock chuck from drive system or loosen and back off tailstock chuck so the now-welded joint isn't strained as it cools.

Speaking of this task of snaking wires around, I saw a really neat method for retrieving the fish wire on TV a while ago: They neat part was that they fed a string DOWNWARD into a wall cavity. Then, to retrieve the string at the floor below, they stuck a vacuum cleaner hose into the hole and it sucked in the string! Won't work in all cases, but a neat idea.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------------------------------ P.J.Le> I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody

Reply to
spaco

Larry Jaques explained :

That is it,I forgot about HF,I think Google now is mostly about advertizing,I've been looking for the last four days and HF nevercame up once,I think I tried every combination,bellhanger,aircraft etc,nothing for HF.I'm starting to have my doubts about Google. Thanks anyway

Reply to
P.J.Leon

Works better when dealing with pipe or tubing.

Always leave a nylon string in a raceway or enclosure of some kind.

Martin

Mart> How about just brazing the bit you want onto a long enough shank? Low

Martin H. Eastburn

On Mon, 05 May 2008 16:15:21 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, P.J.Leon quickly quoth:

Some sites don't give search-engine-friendly (SEF) URLs. HF must be one of those. Otherwise, Google still gives me the best hits, though I sometimes have to refine my searches according to the outcome of the first and second peeks.

-- I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated. --Troy P, usenet

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The people who installed air conditioning ducts in my house used stiff pieces of wire with a crude tip. Must have been cheap, they had them in bundles and quite a few bent and were discarded but most went thru and were left in place so they could measure from both sides.

nick hull

Home Depot and some, have 3/16 bits in about that length. I've used those to find what's on the other side of a baseboard, or something.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow, that's a good item to have. Four bucks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Likely the diameter of the older Telephone round wire used in homes.

Martin

Mart> Home Depot and some, have 3/16 bits in about that length. I've used those to

Martin H. Eastburn

Sometimes a putty knife can be used to pull the shoe molding away from baseboards. Drill in the gap. When you are done, the molding will cover the hole.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

When I installed floor registers in my first ever job we used wire coat hangers - all job sites have some. Just straighten one out, cut end off with diagonal cutters to make a crude drill tip. We drilled through 3/4" oak flooring on 3/4" plywood decking with amazing ease. You have to guide the tip into the wood.

Reply to
syoung

Ball chain, magnet. String and large hex nut, magnet. BT,DT,HTTS.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman