Building a big tumbler?s

By big i am thinking capacity of 1000 lbs. This is to tumble steel parts coming off our plasma cutting table. My boss came and asked me to be on the lookout for gearbox and 5 or 10hp motors. I'm well known for scrounging around here. He wants us to build something to tumble and debur the parts coming off the cutting table. The largest would be

1in thick and 12in by 12in. So i want to look into this since i have little faith in our recent grad of an "engineer" to design this well, and i think it would be interesting to get involved in this.. So are there any sites with info on these? I'll i find when i search are "Rock Tumblers" About all my boss said was these things sort of self destruct and we'll be replacing chains and parts. What we have is our Plasma table, large rolls, and welders.
Reply to
Butter

Dad once had a rock tumbler made from 1/2 an old hot water tank, but that is no where near the size you need.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

A friend of mine who did stamping used a barrel type concrete mixer. It was noisy but it did a good job.

I use a five gallon plastic pail with 4 internal wooden 2x2 pieces screwed to the inside surface of the pail. I put the pail in one of my bigger lathes and run it at a real slow speed. The tailstock was pushed against the lid of the pail.

John

Reply to
John

Check the various auction sites as well. Lots of those in those sizes winding up for auction as companies shut down..

If the bowl is worn..simply take it down to the Rino Liner place and have it sprayed nice and thick. Works like a champ

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The mining industry uses a big rock tumbler called a ball mill. A typical one might use steel balls about 5 or 6 inches in diameter in a large drum to pulverize ore.

Paul

Reply to
Paul G. Shultz

They don't usually self destruct IF they were built right. The ones we had were real simple. They had a large drum made of 1/2" thick steel panels welded along each edge, with one that locked in place with simple dog locks. The end caps were the same steel and welded all the way around. On each end were two pairs of pillow blocks with stub shafts that bolted to the tumbler body. Power for rotation was a simple hydraulic drive motor that connected to one stub shaft with a sprocket. Had a control lever that allowed you to roll the drum either way. Used to tumble a LOT of stuff in there, Abrasive wise it used a standard ceramic media just like the vibratory units.

Take a look at the picture of their tumbler about half way down the page. Ours was almost a twin to that, Just a bit more "used"

We also had a medium sized vibratory unit. It worked great on things that you couldn't tumble but it was N O I S Y!!!!! You couldn't run it during normal production hours because it was so loud. Had to run it on third shift when you could load it, hit the switch and get well away from it.

And here is a used one just like it!

Reply to
Steve W.

We built a tumbler that big to wax coat wood blocks. How can I help? Need pictures?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks for the links. We will probably use 3/8 since we have so much of that size steel scrap and roll a drum i'm guessing.

Reply to
Butter

I have considered the same question, and I came up with: 55 gallon refuse plastic barrels, and shopping cart wheels. The wheels can be mounted with bolts so if and when they wear out, it's a five minute changeout. The whole thing can be mounted on a tilting assembly for easy emptying. No need to reinvent the wheel here, just use cheap available parts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Paul G. Shultz" wrote

I did repair work at the Nipton, NV (Maybe over the line into CA) gold mine. They had ball mills that were the size of cement truck mixers. Six inch rubber standouts from the outside of the drums, 4-6' steel balls. Ground it all to a powder. N-O-I-S-Y!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"used"

You don't want a true circular drum if at all possible. The parts will just slide around and not tumble. Adding paddles doesn't work real well as they tend to do more damage then help. The sectional drum avoids this with the angles of the drum causing the media/parts to tumble. If you have a good sized break you could make it in one piece easy enough.

Reply to
Steve W.

It all has to be an equation of: size of parts to be cleaned, hardness of those parts, how clean they need to be, how much needs to be cleaned in a batch, time allotted per cycle, and possibly other factors. Building one huge mondo unit may take a lot more time, money, and upkeep than making several smaller ones that may run a little longer, but would be cheaper to replace balls, grit, and other consumables.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

10" pneumatic wheels can be had from HF for $5 apiece on sale. They wouldn't wear out as quickly, I'd bet. And that would get the thing up off the floor a bit better. Less bending for a happier time during loading/unloading.

-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't understand what a "sectional drum". And we don't have a break. How do the paddles cause damage? I have a feeling my boss just wants something like what he has seen in the past, using what we have around here. That would be some rolled drum, with no media

Reply to
Butter