Building a duplicating machine design ?s

I have been assigned the task of designing and building a gunstock dupllicating machine. My complaining that I just know how to "drill holes" was ignored. I'm needing some advice on how to achieve linear motion over 8ft while having the whole thing ridgid enough for the router that will be doing the cutting. I'm guessing I have to use polished shafts and somehow will have to support them all along this 8 ft not just on ends. Machine has to have a carriage with 8ft travel in x axis and machine will be about 24 in wide with 10 in of y axis movement. I am on a very tight budget and that rules out any thing elpensive like thompson shafts and bearings. Ridgid and Cheap-- thats what I'm after. The budget is less than $1000 for material. My pay is so little that my time isn't a concern for the boss. I've worked at a place building custom machines, and about a dozen other machine shops and so not without a tiny bit of skill.

Reply to
ken

This site shows a machine for duplicating wood propellers. Might give you a few ideas.

Reply to
Chief McGee

Hey Ken,

Have a look at :

Take care.

Brian Laws>I have been assigned the task of designing and building a gunstock

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Why is the machine 8 feet long? To accomodate both stocks END to END?

Why not put them side by side? The linkage from the follower to the router will be a lot shorter this way, too.

Just a thought.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

This one is easily modifiable to meet your needs and is cheap. How rigid it is is up to you.

Randal O'Brian

You *might* be able to find a metal lathe that long for scrapmetal prices. Getting it home might break the budget unless the boss has a cheap truck and rigging.

That's unfortunate. I hope you pull this off and convince him you're worth more.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

of. Seems hard to believe its as ridgid as they claim. Maybe its my tendancy to over engineer

Reply to
ken

Here you see a "wood-copy-router/carver" that is rigged for gunstock copying :

A.P , Norway

Reply to
A.P.