Building a stone polisher

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That's most interesting. I would like to learn a bit more about that process...

Ignoramus32374

using one of these

regards, charlie

Charles Spitzer

Thanks, very interesting stuff.

Ignoramus32374

As an aside, we recently went camping about 25 miles NNW of Tonopah, Nevada. We found an old mining operation where obsidian balls (called Apache tears after polishing) were being taken out of a mountainside. There were bazillions of them.

I often wondered how a large operation like that would process them. Or, if they used them for something else besides tumbled stones for jewelry.

Any hints?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Grady

I am seriously considering making a stone polisher out of a used tire, some shaft, a 3/4 HP gear motor, and chains and sprockets. I just talked to my friend to whom I gave the gearmotor 3 years ago, he said that it lies unused, and he could give it to me.

Ignoramus32374

Just found some nice Torrington 1 1/8" ID needle bearings. If I can buy a pipe slightly below this diameter, I can put it in these bearings, put flanges on both sides, add a big sprocket to one side, the tire (properly mounted) to another, with the 3/4 HP 60 RPM gearmotor that my friend is giving to me, I will be in business!

I will try to stop by some tire changing place tomorrow to ask for a used tire.

Ignoramus32374

It took me a while to work out the motor speed as I

That's ingenious!

Reply to
Tom Miller

Reply to