Buying a Lathe

I am soon to retire and I am thinking of taking up model engineering and buying a lathe.I have looked at several companys web sites (Warco, Chester,Toolco etc) and am interested in a lathe advertised as 920 there also seems to be a lathe advertised as a 918 which seems to be the same as the 920 can anyone confirm this.Also could anyone tell me I would be able to cut M33 x 3.5 threads with these lathes.

Reply to
Bowlauncher

A lot of information an be found online by searching "9x20 lathe". This lathe, and many others can produce many more thread pitches thn listed in the owner/operation manuals. The typical 9x20 models can cut both meteric and inch threads. More threading info is shown in the chart in the 2004 dropbox files.

There are a lot of 9x20 owners' websites that show various improvements and modifications they've done to their lathes. Some comments describe the 9x20 model to be a kit, of sorts, meaning that the lathes aren't considered to be ready to use as delivered. Disassembly, cleaning, adjustments and fabrication of improved parts are considered to be necessary to attain good performance with the 9x20 models.

In comparing various models, check that various models have all the same features, since many lower priced models have fewer features. Accessories included from different sellers may vary, as far as faceplate, steady rest, centers, chucks, etc. Of particular interest while comparing, check to see if models have a quick change gear box, the same controls on the apron for threading and turning feeds, comparable spindle speeds, clearance over the cross slide, and similar accessories included.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I'm thinking you are from the UK. You sure are welcome here but you might want to also pose your query on uk.rec.models.engineering . The gents there may have better regional specific recommendations.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

ght want to also

e better regional

Thanks Wild Bill & Wes I am in the UK new to model engineering so did not realize that there was a UK group will try there. From your names I'm thinking you gents are from the US from my name you probably guessed also that I'm a woodturner the thread size I am inquiring about is the size of my wood lathe spindle thought I could combine the two hobbies. Thanks again Charlie.

Reply to
Bowlauncher

Look for "thread cutting" in the description, then inquire about the

3.5 pitch. That's probably a pretty big pitch if the 920 is a 9" swing lathe (4.5" center distance to bed if you're in UK). Hmmm. Looking at the Chester UK site, the 920 cuts up to 3mm pitch.
's also a 9" nominal swing as I suspected.

I'd also suggest looking at uk.rec.models.engineering if you haven't already.

Good luck and have fun.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

There are quite a few folks that participate in this forum that are from the UK Great Britain region, Charlie.

I didn't see a 3.5mm thread pitch in the 9x20 threading chart (a 3.555+mm closest), but that doesn't mean that 3.5 can't be done. Checking around the various other lathe groups may turn up the specific info you're looking for.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

want to also

better regional

They are a very nice group, and they tend to stick to the topic and not go political. Must be a cultural thing. We tend to drift here on r.c.m.

If Nick Mueller or John Stevenson gives you advice on u.r.m.e., pay attention. There are others for sure but those two gents know what they speak about.

Wes

Reply to
Wes