Making of a Big Tap at Widell

Wild_Bill

nice!

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Now I want to see what it taps.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim, when I posted this link before, in 2002, there was some speculation that a tap this size could be used to make large valves such as those used in oil fields.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I wonder what kinda price that thing goes for; I'm gonna WAG and say five grand.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Nice pictures. Interestingly, their grinder was imported by Shars, which we just discussed here.

Ignoramus4181

That seems right Bill, on one of the photos "copes vulcan valve" can be seen etched into the tap.

I'll stick with small hand taps thanks!

Reply to
K Ludger

I notice that everyone who is shown working on it where you can tell seems to be old enough for gray hair.

I wonder whether there are younger people working there, or whether the entire skill of the company is in old farts like most of us?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The young guys were the only ones who could run a digital camera.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

also interesting - I always figured you would first turn threads, then cut flutes, then harden, but clearly that is not the way it's done - cut flutes and heat treat, then cut threads

Reply to
Bill Noble

Somewhat unrelated, but my guess is that it is for a pipe inside a pipe type of situation, maybe a huge heat exchanger.

Reply to
Ignoramus4181

well, if "I" had to guess, I'd say it is used on a christmas tree

but I'm not an expert on oil field technology

Reply to
Bill Noble