Buying lathe

use Cutter grinder, make fly cutter, use dividing head, what seems to be your problem? I've made a lot of stranger things.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

Bastard!!!!!

Reply to
yourname

$250 for my prewar 16 X 36 with four chucks. (Probably only the four jaws are worth much.)

Greybeard the Cheap.

Reply to
Greybeard

Reply to
EdFielder

I used a Harrison tool room lathe for several years while working in the model shop at Lenkurt. Very nice lathe although a little smaller than I want for my new shop. The nicest lathe I ever used was a Yuasa. 16X60. It was so smooth you could hardly tell it was running. Come to think of it the nicest mill I ever used was also a Yuasa. Bigger than most Brigeports and very solid. Do they still import them? The lathe I'm currently thinking of is the Birmingham 14X40. Currently on sale at about $4200.00 without a DRO. One thing I like about it is that it weighs about 1900 lbs. Thats more than twice the weight of some of the others of the same size. And since shipping is free it doesn't hurt a bit. Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming. I am open to new and better ideas. 73 Gary

Reply to
Vulcan

KInda had that figured out. Those that don't know how hate it when a simple, low tech solution from the 1890's is shoved in front of them. They're even worse when they can't say it won't work.

Pete's problem is that he thinks he has a monopoly on brain. He sorta lost his monopoly on my killfile though.

I haven't seen any part on any machine that coudn't be reproduced, although I've seen a few that economics might make replacing the machine the better choice.

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

Reply to