Buying lathe

Which was actually *pre*ceded by the OP's comment that he just went and made one, rather than buying it.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

On usenet, this is how mothers talk to their own kids!!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

t all I'm saying is that your response loses

yur to ugly t' be mah mudda

Reply to
yourname

Heck, while I'm at it I'll buy an FP2 and a moore jig borer.

I think I'll spring for that bugatti I've always wanted too.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

By the way Gary, this isn't aimed at you.

I can't believe the anger, name calling and profanity this post generated (in my opinion through no fault of its own). Most people come on this forum to get information - not to collect profanity - there's other newsgroups for that.

If you think they are a troll, then don't feed them. If you truly think it's a stupid question either explain why or ignore it.

And yes, I'm ignoring my own advice by responding to this.

Reply to
Jim K

Reply to
David Billington

And I have run Monarchs that should have been sunk with the Titanic, BFD. In fact, I own a Monarch, 16 X 36, older, but seems to be in pretty good condition, IF I NEEDED THE CAPACITY. When it comes to older machines, I probably own more than you have run. I find nothing wrong with the quality of my Grizzly for what I paid, it has done everything I've asked it for ten years and I have no real complaints. I will also be the first to say that the spindle could be a little more solid, and it isn't a hogger. Also the first to point out that hogging is the area that most judge them on, not what it can do in a normal situation. If you're in a hurry, buy a Gisholt. Taking my time I can get good work out of the much slandered Harbor Freight 9 X

20, and yes, I also own one. Of all the machines I have, I haven't found any that couldn't be made to perform up to the standards I wanted. The difference is in the flesh, not the iron. A machine is a machine, it's up to the man to make it work right. Some can, the rest complain.

'Tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools. (Ben Franklin)

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

Want a Moore? I know where there is one for about $500.

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

I'm sorry, but listening to people that don't know how to make a machine perform, and seeing their crap posted as fact is getting a little old. I have ten lathes, ranging from an 1890's Barnes to the HF 9 X 20 that I bought last year, and I can get very acceptable results from any of them. The secret is to not ask the machine to do what you know it cannot do. The grizzly is getting a little finicky, I have to work to hold a half thousandths now. That ain't bad in any book. I know the HF isn't nice to thread with, the answer is to do it on another lathe. In all other respects, for the HSM it would be perfectly acceptable, IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH IT. If they don't know, a Hardinge wouldn't help.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

Well actually, that's encouraging. Mebbe the place that had these dreadful $6 chinese 5C's was dealing w/ a particularly onerous province, or sumpn. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Ben Franklin didn't use a Chinese wrench that broke in half. Cause if he did, that may have been the inspiration for "penny wise, pound foolish."

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Like you'd even have a prayer of getting a part for your Chinese lathe 60 years from now. And what about 5 years from now.?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

My Grizzly is ten, no problems yet. Even if a part isn't available, they're like the older iron, nothing in them that complicated that it can't be made.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a great idea.

73 Gary
Reply to
Vulcan

Thanks for the good suggestions.

73 Gary
Reply to
Vulcan

Thanks Randy.

73 Gary
Reply to
Vulcan

If you can get those for the 3500 bucks[tooled] I paid for my EE, jump at it.

Reply to
yourname

Yeah, how about a metric gear? Dont' see many metric involute cutters available. Make that one on a inch machine.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I only paid $1200 for my EE With Tpr attach & a large quantity of Hardinge step collets and closers. Like you said there are plenty of machines out there, You just have to look and ask around.

Reply to
Rick R

Reply to
EdFielder