Candle Safety and emergency lighting

Plan before the power cut. I'd dare to guess that most candle fires are people who have never really used candles, and not given any attention to making or buying safe brackets and holders.

The Amish and Mennenites have good candle holders.

comes to mind. Hope I typed that right.

In my trailer, I have a couple "cup hooks" in the ceiling, which can be used to hang a battery lantern, or a railroad style oil lamp. In the back corner by the bedroom, I have a metal pan for holding candles. (Used to be a 9 x 9 cake pan. Two sides turned up. Sides punched, and then screwed to the inside corner by the bathroom and bedroom.) It's relatively sturdy place to set a candle, very low risk of endangering anything.

I've taken to remelting candles, as a hobby. Lately, I do try to make them in glass jars, which might be safer than tapers or pillars.

For using candles, a good table or surface is needed. Lay down a pie or cake pan, in case the candle falls over. Keep curtains, papers, etc, away. Keep out of reach of combustible children, or cats soaked in kerosene.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So is this usage of candle wrong?

Cydrome Leader

It does seem inefficient. A jar or some kind of side wall would have helped.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When hanging a Coleman style lantern from the ceiling...use a length of small chain and keep the lantern at least..at least 18" from the ceiling itself.

I always hang them 24" from the ceiling....as Ive seen browning of the ceiling itself from the rising heat when hung closer.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

There's someone out there who's a notch dumber than you - a guy borrowed my gas Coleman and hung it from his carpeted bedroom ceiling.

Reply to
Beryl

Or buy a GOOD paraffin oil lamp and get useful light/heat from it. Aladdin makes some of the best available. And the bonus is you don't get all the soot in the air that you get from candles.

Or you can set up a solar fed battery bank and have "electric" lights...

Reply to
Steve W.

Now dang it Steve, there you go interjecting common sense into a stream of baffle gab. Just disrupt the flow of theoretical pontifications.

And you made sense too.

I'd go with a twelve volt system and LED lights, myself. They really do put out the photons, and last "forever". (Had a friend, years ago, he'd strung bare wire about 8 inches along the ceiling of his basement apartment. Then used the mini halogen spots with alligator clips for work lights. "Portable" easy to move where he needed them, and worked.)

pyotr filipivich

I presume the fire department told you about it the next day?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just make sure not to drop any metal devices that are lighter than air. Wouldn't want to short out the ceiling wires. And, no tinsel hairdos for the tall women. No aluminized mylar baloons in the cellar.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How to turn a cat into a dog:

Soak it in naphtha, toss a match, and it goes "WOOF!" ;-)

Equal opportunity:

How to turn a dog into a cat:

Get out the Skil-Saw, apply it to the dog, and it goes "MEEEEEOOOWWWW!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Huh? What? When you top-post like that, with your sig in the MIDDLE, everything that was said before gets snipped away.

Reply to
Beryl

I used to be a top-poster, but I've seen the light! ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A: Destroys the continuity Q: What is the problem with top posting?

Let the Record show that Rich Grise >> Storm>>> I presume the fire department told you about it the next day?

pyotr filipivich

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:18:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich top-posted: [top-post repaired]

Kinda like those signs painted on the road, like

XING PED

or

AHEAD STOP?

I like:

ONLY TURN RIGHT

which, oddly, seems to work either way around. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise