Capturing the end of a garage door spring when hook breaks off

When a garage door spring broke the other day, I fashioned a "fix" for
it by bending a piece of strap iron:

Does anybody have any experience with this approach and can tell me how
well it's going to work? So far so good, but I'm a little nervous about it.
Thanks,
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
When I was shopping for replacement springs I came across springs which used the exact same attachment as I made. The attachments were called clips. And they were only used on the springs for much heavier doors. I take this to mean that they are stronger, better, than hooks. I'm tempted to make clips for the new springs.
Thanks for all the replies, Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt