Car repair question:

||On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:14:16 GMT, rex@@txol.net (Rex B) wrote: || ||>On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:07:05 -0500, Don Foreman ||>

||>Seems to me tha having a HB 180 degrees out from intended mounting would render ||>it inneffective. Most I've seen have an assymetric weight cast into the ||>balancer, which gives the assembly the correct... balance. ||>Texas Parts Guy || ||I bet timing was a bit of a pain also.

No problem if you have a lift Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Hey, thanks to all who replied. Lots of great ideas. I am going to take a look at the car tomorrow or thursday. It sounds to me like there is a good chance of making a decent repair. If things don't look too bad, I am going to attempt this. I'm thinking that the best approach may be more obvious when I get a better look at how everything goes together.

If and when I do this, I will report back how it all goes. Thanks again!

-AL

BTW - I also posted this question to alt.autos.subaru at the same time I posted it here. Score:

RCM - 22 replies AAS - 1 reply

RCM. Why shop anywhere else? :)

Reply to
Al A.

I have heard the term "dutchman" used for those little football shaped plugs that you see in the outer layers of plywood, that the mill uses to fill in knot holes.

I don't know where the term comes from either.

Reply to
Al A.

round pins make awful keys.

We spent days repairing part of a cnc lathe turret that had been repaired that way, um, 3 times

if it didn't work the first time, or the second...

Reply to
Jon Grimm

I think you will find the Dutchman is a wood workers Bow Tie shaped reverse wedges that hold two adjacent pieces together. It might be a larger group of in-planted clamp.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Then they have "dog-bones" that hold large flywheel rim pieces together. Todd Engine, and all.

Dutchman? That was always understood to be a clever, non-tradional way of keying something to a shaft. I always thought the deriviation had something to do with clever german (deutch) toolmakers.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen