Carbide insert threading questions

There are lots of threading inserts, and the several catalog pages I've looked at to try to understand them don't do a very good job. The
turning inserts seem to make a lot more sense than the threading ones.
So first, can anyone point me to a reasonable explanation of how the inserts are numbered (threading, not turning)? Are threading insert brands compatible with each other? For instance, can I expect to use company A's insert in company B's holder?
And in the too convenient to be true department, can I use a triangular threading insert to cut internal threads with my insert boring bars?
Thanks, Steve