Chain Saw chain - followup

I'm sure you guys already know this, but the chain is really "worn" and not so much "stretched".

I know when I work/pull my bicycle chains apart (quite regularly, I cook them in wax for lubrication) there is a slight amount of wear on each pin/link. It isn't much, but once you add it all up over the length of the chain...

From what I can recall the drive sprocket on most chainsaws looks nothing at all like a bicycle sprocket, nor does the chain. They are assembled in the same way though. I suspect it may be a bit more forgiving than a "normal" sprocket as the chain wears.

I know on my bicycle a slightly worn chain is easier to lube than a new tight one and seems to stay lubed longer.

Personally I use chain saw chains till the teeth can no longer be properly sharpened. Only use a file too, I can't see the purpose of a grinder that removes way-to-much at a time. The Dealers like grinders, lets them sell a whole bunch more chains :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Bullshit, the same morons who think a chainsaw is the worlds thinnest rototiller are the first to whine when you take 3x the time to remove the abrasion damage so the chain cuts properly.

If you hit something hard the tooth will work harden and in many cases hard enough to strip the teeth from a file.

Reply to
bamboo

Yes, chainsaw. And yes, I know all are wearing equally. That's the point. By the time both chains are shot, you replace them and the sprocket. By alternating chains during their life, you avoid the problems with fast wear on a new chain with old sprocket as the chains & sprocket are wearing as a set. Also by having 2 chains you can field swap them and not worry as much about pushing a blunt chain when you really should sharpen it.

PDW

Reply to
Peter

(shrug) I've been sharpening blades with nothing but files for a looooong time now, never had a problem like that yet.

You don't have to make every tooth look perfect for the saw to cut good. If there is a mucked up tooth or two just give them a few swipes with the file, just like the other teeth in good shape yet. You will eventually catch up to the damaged tooth and it too will look good again.

An old friend of mine from a good many years ago taught me how to sharpen with a file. He ran a tree service company and has sharpen more chain than either you or me put together. He really hated doing the saw with the 6 foot bar, it took awhile. He used to chide his guys, "What you been doing with this saw? Riding it up and down the sidewalk?"

Reply to
Leon Fisk